Hounds Blank Naturals, Even Series
Tyler Ramirez ripped a three-run double to left center field with two out in the last of the first inning Wednesday night at Security Bank Ballpark. As it turned out, that was all Grant Holmes, Wandisson Charles, and Zack Erwin would need, as the RockHounds shut out the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, 4-0, to even the three-game series at Rocky Town at a game apiece.
The Naturals had chances early against Holmes, with six hits over the first four innings, but the right-hander denied each threat, earning his sixth win (6-4) and lowering his ERA to an outstanding 3.26. Charles went 1 ? innings and Erwin went "old school," going the last 2? for his seventh save in as many opportunities.
Edwin Diaz added an insurance run in the seventh, launching an RBI double to left-center. It was Edwin's 35th double and 54th extra-base hit, both Texas League-leading totals. The RBI was his 69th of the season (now fifth in the league) and the 15th in his last nine games (see below).
The Texas League South Division
There are 12 games remaining in the Texas League's regular season (all cross-division play).
The other games in the league were not yet "in the books" at this writing, but the RockHounds will be no more than four games out of first place (behind Amarillo) in the second half pennant race and in no worse than a tie for the wild card spot entering Thursday's games.
Edwin Diaz has hit in seven straight games (9-27, .333) with four doubles, three home runs and fifteen (15) runs batted in.
In his last eight games, Mikey White is 12-for-36 (.333) with a double, three home runs and ten (10) RBI.
In his last five games, Tyler Ramirez is 7-for-17 (.412) with three runs, three doubles, a home run and eight RBI.
Jonah Heim has been reassigned to the RockHounds from (AAA) Las Vegas. So you think Minor League Baseball is "fair?" Jonah was hitting .358 in 35 games for the Pacific Coast League Aviators (nine double, four home runs and 19 RBI). The move was predicated by the return of catcher Sean Murphy (the A's # 3 prospect and a former RockHound) and to get "AB's" all around. Originally selected by Baltimore in the fourth round of the 2013 draft (Amherst), Jonah was traded to Tampa Bay, straight up, for infielder Steve Pearce in August 2016 and subsequently to the A's as the player to be named in the trade that sent infielder Joey Wendle to the Rays (December 2017). He was a non-roster invitee to Oakland's Spring Training camp in 2019 and is hitting a combined .315 for the season (21 doubles, eight home runs and 50 RBI).
Thursday, August 22 vs. NW Arkansas Naturals
Security Bank Ballpark 7:00 p.m. (Gates open 6:00)
- Final of a three-game series and third of a six-game homestand
- Radio: NewsTalk 550 with Bob Hards ... airtime 6:47 p.m.
NWA: J.C. Cloney (LH, 2-4, 3.53)
RH: James Kaprielian (RH, 1-1, 2.50)
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Amarillo Drops Extra Innings Showdown - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Outlast Amarillo in 11-Inning Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Long Ball Helps Travs Level Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travs Homer 3 Times in Support of Dunn to Beat Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Eighth-Inning Push Falls Short Wednesday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hounds Blank Naturals, Even Series - Midland RockHounds
- Early Walks Doom Naturals in 4-0 Loss at Midland - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Cardinals Book Drive = $1 Tickets for Donations on August 27 - Springfield Cardinals
- Brock Burke Makes Big League Debut - Frisco RoughRiders
- Teammates Dawson, Adcock Overcome College Rivalry... Sort Of - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.