Houchins Named Eastern League Player of the Week
RICHMOND, Va. - Richmond Flying Squirrels infielder Zach Houchins has been named Eastern League Player of the Week for June 3-9, the league announced on Monday afternoon. Houchins hit .423 with four home runs and 12 RBIs over seven games during that span.
Across seven games since last Monday, Houchins went 11-for-26 with four homers, two doubles, three walks, 12 RBIs and eight runs scored. He had multiple hits in five of the seven games over the week.
For the week, he led the circuit in home runs, RBIs, runs scored, hits, slugging percentage (.962), OPS (1.428) and total bases (25). His batting average was the second-highest in the league over the last seven days.
Over his last 13 games since May 29, Houchins has hit .388 (19-for-49) with five homers, three doubles and 16 RBIs. During that stretch, he leads the league in batting average, RBIs, hits, total bases (37) and runs scored (13). He is also tied for first in home runs, second in slugging percentage (.755), fourth in OPS (1.170), tied for third in extra-base hits (8) and seventh in on-base percentage (.415).
Houchins, a native of Wilson, N.C., was signed by the San Francisco Giants as a minor league free agent and assigned to Double-A Richmond on May 18.
Since joining the Flying Squirrels, he is batting .275 with five homers and 16 RBIs in his 22 games.
The selection was the second weekly award pick for Houchins, who was also tabbed as the Southern League Player of the Week on June 11, 2017. As a member of the Los Angeles Angels organization, Houchins was a Southern League Post-Season All-Star in 2017 with the Mobile BayBears.
The Flying Squirrels return home to begin a six-game homestand on Tuesday against the Harrisburg Senators, Double-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Tickets are available at SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 10, 2019
- SeaWolves and Thunder Postponed on Monday - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder and SeaWolves Postponed Monday - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Trenton Thunder - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Fireworks, Giveaways and More on Tap in this Week's Flying Squirrels Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Houchins Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Yard Goats Starter Rico Garcia Named Eastern League Pitcher of Week - Hartford Yard Goats
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for June 3rd-June 9th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels Back Home Thursday to Begin Seven-Day Homestand
- Hometown Flying Squirrels Lead West to All-Star Game Victory
- Cyr Added to Eastern League All-Star Game Roster
- Two Players Added to Eastern League All-Star Rosters
- Four-Game Flying Squirrels Homestand Features Fireworks, Gators and Giveaways