Honkers Snap Losing Streak
(Rochester, Minn.) - With the game even at three after seven innings, the Rochester Honkers put up two runs in the eighth to help secure a 5-4 victory over the Thunder Bay Border Cats Sunday at Port Arthur Stadium. The Honkers snapped a three-game losing streak to move to 14-16 in the second half and 31-35 overall. The Border Cats fall to 8-22 and 21-45.
Thunder Bay was able to get on the board in the first. Gunner Hellstrom (Nebraska) hit a two-RBI single to give the Border Cats a 2-0 lead.
Rochester responded with a two run second inning. Logan Denholm (UC Davis) got the Honkers on the board by crushing a solo home run. For Denholm, it was his fourth of the year. Nate Webb (UC Riverside) tied the game up at two as he drove in a run with a single.
Matt Hardy (UC Riverside) gave Rochester a 3-2 lead in the seventh by driving in a run with a single.
The Border Cats immediately responded to tie the game up at three in the seventh as Dylan Caplinger (Northern Oklahoma Enid) drove in a run with a double.
The Honkers were able to get the lead back in the eighth. Austin Schell (Golden West) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring in a run and give the Honkers a 4-3 lead. Taylor Adams (Oregon) gave Rochester an insurance run by driving in a run with a sacrifice fly.
The Border Cats fought back in the eighth. Calen Schwabe (Des Moines Area CC) singled home a run to cut the Honkers lead to 5-4.
Honkers starting pitcher Nick Simak (Roosevelt) spun six innings and gave up two runs on four hits. Joshua Ibarra (Concordia Irvine) was rewarded with his second win out of the bullpen, Ibarra worked three innings and gave up two runs on three hits. Just one of the runs was earned.
Schell led the way for the Honkers on offense going 2-for-3 and driving in a run. Hardy and Grayson Bowman (Blue Mountain) each added two hits for the Rochester offense.
Thunder Bay relief pitcher Luke Malone (Texas A&M Corpus Christi) picked up his fifth loss of the summer. Malone worked 1 1/3 innings and surrendered three runs on five hits.
The Honkers are back at Mayo Field Monday to take on the Duluth Huskies. Hayden Shenefield (Cal State Northridge) is scheduled to start for the Huskies, Shenefield has posted a 3.16 ERA and a 4-1 record. The Honkers starting pitcher is to be determined. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 5, 2018
- Kingfish Run Away from Mallards 14-5 - Madison Mallards
- Frogs Roll Past Chinooks on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Split Season Series with Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Dock Spiders Fall to Rafters - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- The Huskies Defeat the Express to Earn a Playoff Spot - Duluth Huskies
- Sanchez Homers Again, Rox Fall to Bucks - St. Cloud Rox
- Bucks Surge Past Rox, 8-2 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Can't Take Down Bombers, Lose 6-5 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Snap Losing Streak - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Look for Magical Win over Dock Spiders - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bombers Get over .500 for the First Time in 2018 - Battle Creek Bombers
- Stingers Climb Back into First with Big Win over La Crosse - Willmar Stingers
- Fondy Grabs a Win at Witter Field - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Fall Late in Rainy Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Huskies Rally Falls Just Short in Wild Game - Duluth Huskies
- Mallards End Kingfish Streak in Extras - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.