Hilt's Two Homers Power Bears to Another Win
The Yakima Bears won for the third straight time with a 5-4 victory over the Vancouver Canadians at Yakima County Stadium Friday night. The loss was the sixth consecutive for the Canadians.
The Bears fell behind 2-0 after a pair of earned runs were plated against starting pitcher Alex Capual in the first inning. Capaul allowed two more runs in the game, but both of those were unearned. In the end, Capaul did not earn a decision after five and two third solid innings of work.
The Bears scoring started with a two-out solo home run from Justin Hilt in the second inning.
The teams traded unearned runs after that, as the Canadians plated a runner in the third inning and the Bears answered back with a double steal that brought Garrett Weber home in the fourth.
The game was tied by the Bears in the fifth inning when Jimmy Comerota hit a RBI-single to score Danny Pulfer, who had reached on a double.
After the Canadians moved back in front with an unearned run in the top of the sixth inning, Justin Hilt hit an inside the park home run to knot the game at 4-4 in the bottom half of the sixth.
The Bears took the lead for the first time in the seventh, when Comerota capped a stretch of three straight single to score Westley Moss.
Bears reliever Justin Albert would not let that slim lead go. The lefty improved to 3-1 by tossing two and a third shutout innings with five strikeouts and only one base runner allowed. Greg Robinson pitched a scoreless inning in between Capaul and Albert.
The Bears outhit the Canadians 12-9, but also committed four of the games five errors. Hilt two home run game marks the second time this season he's accomplished that feat. Comerota finished 3-for-4 with two RBIs as well.
The Bears and Canadians play game four of the five-game series Saturday night at Yakima County Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 7:05 and fireworks will be shot off at the conclusion of the game. Lefty John Pedrotty is expected to start for the Bears against right-handed pitcher Noah Syndergaard of the Canadians.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 13, 2011
- Shorthanded Earthquakes Fall to Rapids 2-1 - Vancouver Canadians
- Vancouver brings tying run to plate but can't find way into win column - Vancouver Canadians
- Six No-Hit Innings from Pedrotty Leads to Bears Win - Yakima Bears
- Hawks top Emeralds - Boise Hawks
- Fireworks Saturday, Post-Game Concert Sunday - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Six Unanswered Runs by Tri-City Sinks Sox - Everett AquaSox
- Hilt's Two Homers Power Bears to Another Win - Yakima Bears
- Vancouver falls to 0-6 on current eight game road trip; five off the pace in West - Vancouver Canadians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.