Heyward Named Eastern League Player of the Week
RICHMOND - Flying Squirrels outfielder Jacob Heyward has been named the Eastern League Player of the Week, the league announced on Monday afternoon. Heyward was selected as the league's top player for the span of April 29-May 5.
In his five games played, Heyward hit .389 (7-for-18) with three home runs, nine RBIs and four runs scored.
After missing seven games while on the injured list, Heyward was activated on Wednesday and hit a home run on the first pitch of that morning's game in Bowie. He also added a two-run homer in his next plate appearance in the third inning.
Heyward picked up another three-RBI performance with two hits on Friday against Altoona.
To wrap up his week, Heyward hit a three-run homer in the third inning on Sunday against Altoona to open an early 4-0 lead in a 6-0 Flying Squirrels win.
For the season, Heyward is batting .340 with four homers, 12 RBIs and a 1.097 OPS in 20 games played.
The selection marked the first Player of the Week award for Heyward in his career and the first for a Richmond player this season.
Tickets are on sale now for the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Week presented by Genworth. The All-Star Week festivities begin on Sunday, July 7 with Mayor Levar Stoney's All-Star Week Kickoff on Brown's Island, followed by the All-Star Country Music Jam on Monday, July 8, headlined by Big & Rich with special guests Cowboy Troy and DJ Sinister at Virginia Credit Union LIVE! at Richmond Raceway. The Celebrity Home Run Derby is Tuesday, July 9 and the festivities wrap up with the 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game on Wednesday, July 10.
For tickets or more information, call 804-359-3866 (FUNN), visit SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets or stop by the Flying Squirrels box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 6, 2019
- Harvey and Rifaela Shine in 10-5 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Crawford's Blast Earns Monday Night Win in Richmond, 3-2 - Trenton Thunder
- Late Curve Rally Not Enough in Loss to Baysox - Altoona Curve
- Heyward Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for April 29th-May 5th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Flying Squirrels Announce All-Star Week Event Times, Additional Celebrity Home Run Derby Participants
- Fireworks, Giveaways and More on Tap in this Week's Flying Squirrels Homestand
- Houchins Named Eastern League Player of the Week
- Fireworks, Human Cannonball Launch and Patrick Henry Bobblehead Highlight Flying Squirrels Homestand this Week
- 2019 Eastern League All-Star Game to be Broadcast Live on CBS 6 and the Community Idea Stations