Heat Hand Rampage 3-1 Loss
San Antonio, TX - The Abbotsford Heat beat the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) 3-1 on Thursday night at AT&T Center. The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 41-25-5-3 record and 90 points.
Three straight goals in the second period was the difference in the game for the Heat, who improved their record to 6-1-0-0 against the Rampage this season. Blair Jones and Ben Street extended their point streaks to four games in the victory.
Both teams were scoreless after the opening 20 minutes, with the Heat leading the shot count 10-8.
In the second period, the Heat opened the scoring on a goal from Ben Hanowski assisted by Chad Billins at 5:16. Blair Jones made it a 2-0 game with his 17th goal of the season, unassisted at the 7:24 mark of the period. At 11:01, Corey Locke scored the Heat's third straight goal, with his ninth of the season from Ben Street. The Rampage were able to get on the board with a power play goal at 15:46 from John McFarland, which cut the Heat's lead to a pair of goals after 40 minutes.
The Heat received strong goaltending from Joni Ortio in the final period, who stopped all 14 shots he faced en route to a 3-1 victory.
The Heat went zero out of three on the power play, and killed off two of three penalties on the evening.
Joni Ortio picked up his 26th win of the season making 32 saves on 33 shots. Rampage goaltender Scott Clemmensen was charged the loss stopping 24 of 27 shots.
The Heat continue their three-game road trip on Friday, April 18th at 5:30 PM PST in San Antonio against the Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers). Heat playoff tickets are on sale now! The first home game goes Friday, April 25th at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 17, 2014
- Rampage Drop 3-1 Decision to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Hand Rampage 3-1 Loss - Abbotsford Heat
- Amerks Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Friday, April 18 at Noon - Rochester Americans
- Flames Assign Markus Granlund to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Ryan Culkin Joins Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Coetzee, Ouellet and Sproul Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mayer Joins Swiss National Team for World Championship - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Syracuse Crunch Forward Eric Neilson Selected as Winner of the Yanick Dupre Memorial Award - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Eric Neilson Named American Hockey League's Man of the Year - AHL
- Jake Allen Voted as AHL's Outstanding Goaltender - Chicago Wolves
- Chicago's Jake Allen Voted American Hockey League's Outstanding Goaltender - AHL
- Springfield Falcons to Host Playoff Standout - Springfield Falcons
- Fan Appreciation Night Award Presentation Friday - Utica Comets
- Albany Devils Release 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs Ticket Information - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Release Home Playoff Schedule for First Round - St. John's IceCaps
- Austin Madaisky Reassigned to Springfield - Springfield Falcons
- Wild Releases Goalie Joel Martin - Iowa Wild
- IceCaps Sign MacLean, Release Beck - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.