Heat Edge IceHogs 5-3
Abbotsford, BC. - The Abbotsford Heat beat to the Rockford IceHogs (AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks) 5-3 on Saturday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 39-25-5-2 record and 85 points.
The Heat swept the season series against Rockford four games to none. Forward Blair Jones registered three points (1-2-3) in his first game back from injury, while Max Reinhart earned 3 assists, which is a new career high for the second year left winger.
Corban Knight opened the scoring for the Heat with a power play goal, assisted by Max Reinhart and Blair Jones at 4:33 of the first period. The Heat increased their lead to 2-0, on a goal by Derek Smith assisted by Sven Baertschi and Tim Miller at 9:29. Less than a minute later, the Heat struck again with a goal by Blair Jones assisted by Max Reinhart and Ben Street.
The IceHogs scored the lone goal of the second period when Garrett Ross put the road team on the board at the 16:33 mark, narrowing the Heat lead to 3-1.
The Heat restored their three goal lead early in the third period, on a goal by Sven Baertschi assisted by Max Reinhart and Kane Lafranchise at 1:25. Shortly after, the IceHogs bounced back and made it a 4-3 game, on goals by Adam Clendening at 6:40 and Stephen Johns at 10:06, but that's as close as they would come. Brett Olson put the game away with an empty net goal at 19:29, assisted by Carter Bancks and Blair Jones
The Heat finished the night one for two on the power play, and killed off the IceHogs' lone attempt with the man advantage.
Heat goaltender, Joni Ortio earned the victory making 23 saves on 26 shots. IceHogs' starter Kent Simpson was chased from the game early in the first period after surrendering 3 goals on 4 shots. Jason LaBarbera entered the game in relief and stopped 15 of the 16 shots he faced.
The Heat continue their four game home stand next week, when they take on the Oklahoma City Barons (AHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers) on Friday April 11th at 7:00 pm at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2014
- Monsters Fall in Texas, 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Hamilton's Late Goal Gives Barons 6-4 Win against Charlotte - Oklahoma City Barons
- Stars Drown Monsters 4-1 - Texas Stars
- Comets Fall to Toronto 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Wolves Settle for Point in Shootout Loss to Iowa - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Sign Jonathan Narbonne to Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Newbury's Four Points Help Bears to Fifth Straight Victory - Hershey Bears
- Wild Defeats Wolves 4-3 in a Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Binghamton Rides Strong First Period to Rout over Penguins - Binghamton Senators
- Pedan Scores Twice But Bears Come Back To Win In Third - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Weal Big Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Five-Goal First Period Leads Sens to 6-2 Win over Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Clinch Division Title for Third Straight Season - Toronto Marlies
- Devils Drop Northway Rivalry Conclusion - Albany Devils
- Providence Bruins Bury the Pirates 7-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sharks Fall 5-2 After Three Late Goals by Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Defeat Pirates 7-2 - Portland Pirates
- Dallas Stars Return Chris Mueller to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Lightning Sign Forward Henri Ikonen to Entry Level Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Reassign Fournier to Nailers - Hamilton Bulldogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Dallas Stars Recall Chris Mueller from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Gameday: Comets at Toronto - Utica Comets
- Comets Dropped in OT - Utica Comets
- Etem's Hat Trick Keys Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Battle Bruins in Providence - Portland Pirates
- OKC Energy FC Win First Ever Match 2-0 over OC Blues - Oklahoma City Barons
- Monsters Fall in San Antonio, 3-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat Edge IceHogs 5-3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Sluggish Start Sinks Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.