Heat Defeat Rampage 5-2
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat defeated the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) 5-2 on Saturday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are now 19-6-1-1 on the season and currently sit first in the American Hockey League (AHL) Western Conference with 40 points.
Joni Ortio was solid for the Heat as he picked up his 11th win of the season and was named the first star. Max Reinhart (1-1-2), Brett Olson (0-2-2), and Mark Cundari (1-1-2) led the way offensively with multi-point games, while Markus Granlund extended his point streak to nine games with a late goal.
Hanowski opened the scoring for the Heat at 8:42 in the first period. Hanowski's power play goal was assisted by Mark Cundari and Brett Olson. The Rampage quickly responded with a goal by Jon Matsumoto at 11:02. The first period ended tied at 1-1 with the Rampage out shooting the Heat 10-5
In the second period, Street scored the lone goal at 19:33 to help the Heat gain the lead at 2-1 assisted by Reinhart and Chad Billins. For Street it was his third straight game with a goal and leads the team with 14.
Cundari added to Abbotsford's lead by scoring a power play at 9:49 in the third period with the assists going to Olson and Michael Ferland. San Antonio's Bobby Butler cut Abbotsford's lead down to one at 15:34, but Granlund replied at 18:24 assisted by Tyler Wotherspoon. With three seconds left Reinhart scored into the empty net assisted by Ferland.
Abbotsford was two for three on the power play, and killed off five of six San Antonio power plays.
Joni Ortio stopped 29 of 31 shots, while Dov Grumet-Morris made 19 saves on 23 shots.
This week the Heat will host the Iowa Wild (AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild) on Wednesday, December 11th and Thursday, December 12th. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2013
- Schultz Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs home winning streak ends at seven - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons Drop Shootout 5-4 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rattie Sparks Rally and Wolves Shootout Win - Chicago Wolves
- P-Bruins Fall to Pirates 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Pack Falls to Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sharks Extend Point Streak to Six Games with 2-1 Shootout Win - Worcester Sharks
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 6-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Bulldogs Thump Monsters 6-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wild Host Teddy Bear Toss on December 15 - Iowa Wild
- Kostka Gets Recalled by Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirates Snap Streak with 4-2 Win over Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Falcons Stay Perfect Versus Wolf Pack, Win 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Yannick Weber Recalled by Vancouver - Utica Comets
- Florida Panthers Loan D Matt Gilroy to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Travel to Providence to Start Set with Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Heat Defeat Rampage 5-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall at Abbotsford, 5-2 - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.