Harley Named to Team Canada WJC Roster
Last December, Thomas Harley was one of the last cuts made ahead of the 2020 World Junior Tournament. Fast forward one year and the Steelheads rearguard has been named to the Team Canada's final roster for the 2021 World Junior Hockey Championships and is seen to be a key fixture on the squad's back-end.
Back in November, a total of 46 players were invited to the National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp in Red Deer, Alberta. Selection Camp took place at the Westerner Park Centrium, home of the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League (WHL). Today, Hockey Canada announced the 22 skaters and 3 goalies who will be travelling to Edmonton, Alberta to defend gold on home ice. Complete Roster
Thomas Harley, the 2019 first round draft pick of the Dallas Stars has spent the last seasons in Mississauga. In three years with the Steelheads, Thomas amassed 30 Goals and 100 Assists in 189 Games. After wearing the Canadian crest in both U17 and U18 action, Thomas was 1 of the 46 players invited to the National Junior Team Sports Check Selection Camp earlier this fall, and has successfully graduated from the camp and earned a roster spot on the 2021 Canadian World Junior Team.
"We couldn't be happier for Thomas," comments Steelheads Head Coach and General Manager, James Richmond. "He's a great kid with exceptional abilities and we're very proud of him. Our organization and our fan base has had the pleasure of watching Thomas play and develop over the past 3 years and now the entire hockey world is going to have that same experience."
Hockey Canada is a serious contender in every World Junior Championship, since the tournament's inaugural hosting in 1977. Canada has won 32 medals, including 18 golds and will be entering this World Junior Tournament looking to defend their championship from the prior year.
This year's World Junior tournament will be hosted in the city of Edmonton, Alberta. The 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship begins on Christmas Day with three games before Canada kicks off its tournament schedule on Dec. 26 against Germany at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT. TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will broadcast all 28 tournament games and the 10 pre-tournament games that begin Dec. 20. TSN Radio will also provide comprehensive tournament coverage, including all Team Canada pre-tournament and tournament games through to the gold medal game.
To ensure the health and safety of all participants and the community at large, Hockey Canada will be closely following enhanced measures around testing and team protocols.
Images from this story
Thomas Harley of the Mississauga Steelheads
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2020
- Otters, BayHawks and SeaWolves Team up for Drive-Thru Teddy Bear Toss and Toy Drive - Erie Otters
- 21 CHL Players to Represent Canada at 2021 World Junior Championship - OHL
- How Growing up on a Farm Led Nick Wong to the OHL - Kingston Frontenacs
- Jamie Drysdale Selected to Represent Canada at 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship - Erie Otters
- Eight OHL Players to Represent Canada at 2021 World Juniors - OHL
- Perfetti, Suzuki Selected by Team Canada for the 2021 World Junior Championship - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Star Jack Quinn Cracks Team Canada World Juniors Roster - Ottawa 67's
- Harley Named to Team Canada WJC Roster - Mississauga Steelheads
- Phil Tomasino Named to Team Canada - Oshawa Generals
- Rangers Reach and Kitchener Rangers Donate $6803.91 to CMHAWW - Kitchener Rangers
- First Ever Drive Up/ Drop off Toy Drive a Huge Success - Guelph Storm
- 25th Anniversary Jerseys on Sale Now - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.