Guttierez Outdueled in 2-0 Loss at Tri-City
Tri-City Dust Devils starting pitcher Christian Bergman threw a three-hit complete game shutout in a 2-0 win for Tri-City over the Yakima Bears Friday night at Gesa Stadium. It was Bergman's second complete game shutout of the season and the tenth time the Dust Devils had shutout an opponent in 2011.
The Bears offense managed to put only four men on base in the entire game. Jimmy Comerota was hit by a pitch in the first inning. Justin Hilt and Tyson Van Winkle singled in the fifth. Carter Bell reached on a single in the seventh.
Bergman allowed no walks with those three hits and had two strikeouts as he improved to 6-4 on the season.
While Bergman was great Friday night, the Bears staff wasn't bad either. Bears starting pitcher Teo Gutierrez had a quality start, allowing two runs on six hits and no walks in seven innings. Gutierrez took the loss to fall to 3-3. Reliever Miles Reagan walked the first batter he faced before retiring the next three on strikeouts in his only inning of work.
The Dust Devils outhit the Bears 6-3 in the game. A Tyler Massey sacrifice fly after a lead-off triple from Tim Smalling in the fourth put the Dust Devils on the board. A two-out solo home run from Massey in the sixth inning was the final run of the game.
The Bears, who have lost seven consecutive games against the Dust Devils, wrap up the season series Saturday at Gesa Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 7:15. Right-handed pitchers Yiomar Camacho of the Bears and Ricardo Ferrer of the Dust Devils are expected to start the game.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 19, 2011
- Guttierez Outdueled in 2-0 Loss at Tri-City - Yakima Bears
- Spokane beats Boise - Boise Hawks
- Everett rallies late to stop Vancouver in front of sold out Scotiabank Field - Vancouver Canadians
- Tonight's Yoke's $1 Family Feast Night Game Is Sold Out - Spokane Indians
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Saturday - Tri-City Dust Devils
- AquaSox Introduce "Campos Court" - Everett AquaSox
- The Volcanoes Battle for First Place During Final Regular Season Homestand - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Canadians Fall 3-2 - Vancouver Canadians
- Tri-City Beats Yakima in Pitchers Duel - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Indians' Offense Explodes in 8-2 Win Over Hawks - Spokane Indians
- Pedrotty's Strong Start Not Enough as Bears Lose - Yakima Bears
- Indians defeat the Hawks - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.