Gross and Eggenberger to Play for Team Switzerland at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship
Oshawa, ON- Swiss Hockey announced today that Oshawa Generals defenceman Nico Gross and forward Nando Eggenberger have been named to Team Switzerland's U20 National Junior Team Pre-camp roster ahead of the 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships.
Gross joined the Generals for the 2017-2018 season, collecting four goals and 10 assists in 58 games as a rookie. Having a strong sophomore season so far with the team, Gross has already come close to reaching his totals from last year with three goals, nine assists in 26 games. He represented his country internationally at many levels, most recently at the IIHF 2018 World Junior Championship in Buffalo, NY last year as an assistant captain for Team Switzerland and at the IIHF U18 World Championship this spring. Before the NHL draft, he appeared in the Sherwin-Williams Top Prospect game and was an invite to the NHL combine. In June, the New York Rangers selected him in the 4th round, 101st overall.
Eggenberger spent last season in the NLA with HC Davos in Switzerland. Like Gross, Eggenberger represented his country at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championships, where he was selected as team captain. The Generals drafted the Chur, Switzerland native this past June in the CHL Import Draft. He attended the Vancouver Canucks training camp this season before returning full time to the Generals lineup. The 6'2, 185 lbs left shot forward in his first season with the Generals has had a great rookie campaign accumulating 13 goals and 13 assists in 26 games.
Team Switzerland will play in Group A at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship with Canada, Russia, Czech Republic and Denmark.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2018
- Rangers Repel Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Canade Snaps Losing Streak with Game Winning Goal - Mississauga Steelheads
- Colts Find Well Rested Wolves Too Much to Handle, Fall 5-1 - Barrie Colts
- Sting Move past Windsor with Big Second Period - Sarnia Sting
- 67's Fall to Gatineau as Alexandra Cup Shifts to Ottawa - Ottawa 67's
- Rangers Double up Battalion 4-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Win Second Straight against Flint 4-1 - Erie Otters
- Pinball Clemons Game Sunday, December 16 - Mississauga Steelheads
- Gross and Eggenberger to Play for Team Switzerland at the 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship - Oshawa Generals
- $5,000 Raised During the Annual Pink the Rink Fundraising Game - Guelph Storm
- Petes Edge Bulldogs in Extra Time on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Peterborough Petes
- Depleted Spirit Defense Battles to the End in 6-5 Loss to Niagara - Saginaw Spirit
- Sting Celebrate OT Win - Sarnia Sting
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oshawa Generals Stories
- Generals Win Fourth Straight
- Game Preview: Gens vs. Petes Tonight at Home at 7:05pm for Rivalry Night
- Generals Complete Perfect Weekend
- Game Preview: Gens End Weekend Tonight at Home in a Battle vs. Barrie at 6:05pm
- Registration Now Open for 2019 Future Generals Hockey Camp