Grizzlies Struggle in Rubber-Match Loss
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Gateway Grizzlies fell behind in the middle innings Sunday afternoon and never recovered in an 11-6 loss to the Evansville Otters at Bosse Field.
Gateway (33-51) trailed 9-0 after the fifth inning, battled back in the sixth and seventh, but couldn't find a last big hit to get into the ballgame in the late innings.
Luke Lowery homered in the sixth inning - a three-run shot that was one of his three hits Sunday - to pull the Grizzlies within 11-6 and they followed by loading the bases with nobody out in the eighth inning, but Isaiah Cullum, Connor Owings, and Brent Sakurai all struck out to leave the bases juiced.
Evansville (49-35) took the series, two games to one, and pulled into a virtual tie with the Florence Freedom for first place in the West Division. The Otters piled up three runs in the third inning, five in the fourth, two in the fifth, and one final tally in the sixth to cruise to victory.
Reign Letkeman (3-4) was charged with eight runs (only three earned) over three-plus innings and took the loss. Grant Black was the only standout on the mound for the Grizzlies: He hurled two scoreless innings with a pair of strikeouts.
In addition to Luke Lowery's 3-for-4 performance, Wesley Jones had three singles and an RBI and Sakurai added a pair of base knocks with a run.
Gateway will be off Monday before opening a six-game homestand with a 6:35 p.m. CDT first pitch Tuesday against the Schaumburg Boomers at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Miners Suffer Heartbreaking Loss to Slammers - Southern Illinois Miners
- Washington Lead Lost Late in Rubber Game against Bolts - Washington Wild Things
- Washington Bounces Back to Beat ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Roll in Finale - River City Rascals
- Freedom Drop Series to River City - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Use the Long Ball to Win Series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Slammers Walk-Off to Beat Miners 10-9 - Joliet Slammers
- Early Offense Sends Lake Erie to Series Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters' Offense Backs up Nicely - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Struggle in Rubber-Match Loss - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vieth's Late Homer Helps Crushers Even Series - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.