Grizzlies Lead Early But Fall in Florence
FLORENCE, Ky. - The Gateway Grizzlies took a 3-0 lead in the second inning Saturday night, but they allowed seven unanswered Florence Freedom runs en route to an 8-5 loss at UC Health Stadium.
Gateway (15-22) has lost back-to-back games and seven of its last eight.
Christian Funk had a second-inning RBI single in his first professional at-bat and Tyler Plantier, in his second professional game, followed with a two-run single to give the Grizzlies their 3-0 lead.
Dustin Woodcock, a Belleville native and former SIUE Cougar, added his first professional hit in the fifth inning.
Gateway has signed four players - Funk, Plantier, Woodcock, and Zak Taylor - this week and all four have singled in their debuts. Woodcock needed two at-bats; the other three needed just one apiece.
Taylor has hit in his first four professional games. Plantier has hit in his first two and started his pro career 5-for-8 with a run and two RBIs.
Connor Owings added a 2-for-4 night with an RBI and a run scored.
Jordan Barrett (1-4) allowed seven runs over three innings and took the loss. After the Grizzlies took their 3-0 lead in the top of the second, the Freedom (24-12) responded with one in the bottom of the second and six in the third. They did not trail again en route to a fourth straight win to keep themselves atop the West Division.
Florence scored eight runs on only seven hits Saturday for a total of 13 runs on only 12 hits over the first two games of the series combined.
Thomas Nicoll conceded only one run over 3 2/3 valuable innings of relief and struck out three without a walk.
Gateway and Florence will return to action at 4:35 p.m. CDT Sunday for the third of a four-game series. The finale is scheduled for Monday morning.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Otters Even Series as Nicely Earns First Win - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Survive Southern Illinois - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Cruise to Game Two Victory over Gateway - Florence Freedom
- Washington Clinches Series Win Saturday in Crestwood with Shutout Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Bounce Back Behind Kaczor's Stellar Debut - River City Rascals
- Rascals Blank Slammers, Win 3-0 - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Lead Early But Fall in Florence - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers rally for three in the ninth but fall to Otters, 7-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.