Rascals Bounce Back Behind Kaczor's Stellar Debut
JOLIET, Ill. - The River City Rascals cruised to a 3-1 victory over the Joliet Slammers on Saturday night at DuPage Medical Group Field, evening the series at a game apiece behind seven shutout innings from Micah Kaczor (1-0), who was making his professional debut. The rookie allowed just a single hit, a fifth inning double, and only walked one as he struck out four in the victory. JD Hearn homered and also doubled to lead the Rascals offense.
Hearn gave the Rascals the early lead with his solo shot in the second, and the Rascals added another run on an RBI single from Zach Lavy in the fifth. They took a 3-0 lead in the seventh, as Trevor Achenbach scored after tagging up from second on an errant throw into third base, one of four Slammers errors on the night.
The Slammers had the bases loaded with two outs in the eighth, but Tanner Cable induced a flyout from Riley Krane to keep the shutout intact. After Brian Parreira singled home the lone Slammers run in the ninth, Jason Zgardowski recovered to strikeout Tyler Coolbaugh for his first save of the season, sealing the win.
Slammers starter Keegan Long (2-4) allowed three runs, two of which were earned, in seven innings of work. He walked five and also struckout five.
The Rascals (19-18) look for the series victory against the Slammers (13-25) tomorrow afternoon, with first pitch set for 1:05 p.m. CDT. Travis McQueen will take the mound for the Rascals in the series finale.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Otters Even Series as Nicely Earns First Win - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Survive Southern Illinois - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Cruise to Game Two Victory over Gateway - Florence Y'alls
- Washington Clinches Series Win Saturday in Crestwood with Shutout Win - Washington Wild Things
- Rascals Bounce Back Behind Kaczor's Stellar Debut - River City Rascals
- Rascals Blank Slammers, Win 3-0 - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Lead Early But Fall in Florence - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers rally for three in the ninth but fall to Otters, 7-3 - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.