Gray, Johnson Lead Fort Wayne as Mad Ants Fall in Final Seconds
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The Canton Charge (15-23) defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, 100-99, at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night.
Rob Gray and Omari Johnson each led the Mad Ants with 28 points on the night. Johnson poured in seven made 3-point shots in the first half to help the Mad Ants build a 24-point lead before halftime. 19 of Gray's 28 points came in the second half.
Saturday was the third consecutive game Johnson finished with 28 points and 10 made field goals.
The Charge outscored Fort Wayne 57-34 in the second half to take a 2-1 series lead against Fort Wayne this season. Canton used a 13-2 run to begin the fourth quarter to shrink the deficit to one.
After jostling for the lead the rest of the way, the Mad Ants took the advantage back with 11.6 seconds remaining in the game after a putback layup from Davon Reed.
After a missed jumpshot from Levi Randolph went out of bounds with 5.2 seconds remaining, the Charge earned one final heave at the basket to win. Jaron Blossomgame wiggled his way through traffic to put back a layup as the clock expired off a missed basket from Scoochie Smith.
Stephan Hicks and Ike Nwamu were the other Mad Ants (19-20) to finish in double figures on the night.
Blossomgame led all Canton scorers with 24 points on 11-of-18 shooting to go along with 10 rebounds. JaCorey Williams sparked the Charge off the bench with 22 points and seven rebounds.
Malik Newman and Sir'Dominic Pointer chipped in 14 points each off the bench for Canton.
The two teams will meet in Canton on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. to conclude the season series.
Tickets are available for the next Mad Ants home game on Friday, March 8 for "Faith & Family Night" by visiting ftwaynemadants.com or calling 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 23, 2019
- Iowa Regroups in Texas with Win over Legends - Iowa Wolves
- Charge Sweep Week After Buzzer Beating Win - Canton Charge
- Gray, Johnson Lead Fort Wayne as Mad Ants Fall in Final Seconds - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Take Down Go-Go - Erie BayHawks
- Nets Earn Wire-To-Wire Victory over 905 - Raptors 905
- Team Effort Spurs South Bay to a Victory over Austin - Austin Spurs
- Stockton Kings Beat Oklahoma City Blue 110-105 - Stockton Kings
- Clippers Cruise Past Herd - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Team Effort Spurs South Bay to a Victory over Austin - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants Acquire Walt Lemon Jr. from Windy City
- "Madame Ants" Change Name to "Mad Dancerz"
- Mad Ants Finalize 2019-20 Basketball Operations and Front Office Personnel
- Mad Ants Host Open Tryouts in Fort Wayne Tomorrow
- Mad Ants Host Open Tryouts in Fort Wayne on Saturday