Gorillas fall to Odessa but host Lubbock tonight
The Amarillo Gorillas surrendered three first period goals and fell 5-3 to the Odessa Jackalopes in the home opener on Friday night in front of a crowd of better than 3,000 fans.
The Gorillas actually jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a goal by Adam Dewan before Odessa went ahead with three straight to make it 3-1 after the first 20-minutes.
Eric Andersen's late second period goal brought Amarillo back to within a goal to make 3-2 after 40 minutes and the Gorillas appeared to be in good shape. But two goals less than a minute apart in the first two minutes of the third period extended the Jack's advantage to 5-2 and that would be all they would need for goaltender Mike Gorman who was solid in goal. Dave Rattray netted the final goal for Amarillo in the third period. The Gorillas outshot the Jackalopes 43-34 in the game.
The Gorillas now get set to host the arch-rival Lubbock Cotton Kings at 7 p.m. at The Jungle. Fans are encouraged to come out and tail gate in the back parking lot of the Civic Center on Johnson street in the afternoon. Amarillo will debut its new home jerseys.
The game can also be heard live on 1440 Am The Score beginning with Farmer's Insurance Group Warm Up Show at 6:40 p.m. followed by all of the action at 7 p.m. The broadcast is also available on the world wide web at www.amarillogorillas.com and through pay-per-view at www.chltv.com
Gorillas tickets can be purchased at their offices located at 1934 Civic Circle; Civic Center Box Office, At Panhandle Tickets located at Randy's Music Mart, the WT Event Center in Canyon and United Supermarkets. Fans can charge by phone at 378-3096 or 242-7825.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2004
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 Before 8,002 - Laredo Bucks
- Kings win opener, 5-4 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings squeak by Brahmas in a shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bats Top Bees 5-2 in Season Opener - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings encourage fans to seek alternate routes, arrive earlier - Mississippi RiverKings
- Meet the Brahmas party this Monday - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Fort Worth falls in season opener - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Gorillas fall to Odessa but host Lubbock tonight - Amarillo Gorillas
- Killer Bees Road Game Preview @ Austin - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Tarantulas fall to Thunder in opener - Topeka Tarantulas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.