Killer Bees Road Game Preview @ Austin
Sat. Oct. 23 7:30 @ Austin Ice Bats
Radio: Real Country 840 AM TV: None
Notes: The Killer Bees open up the regular season Saturday night on the road in Austin, as they battle with the Ice Bats. This will be the second consecutive year the Bees have started the regular season on the road after losing 3-1 in last season s opener in San Angelo. The Bees are 8-4-0 all-time against the Bats and 2-4-0 at the Travis County Expo Center. Bees returning all-star Bill Newson led the series in scoring with 12 points (5g,7a). Austin was led by Brent Hughes, who is currently a member of the Amarillo Gorillas, in the season series (4g,4a,8pts), but they return Kelly Smart, who posted 7 points (3g,4a) against the Bees last season. In net, the Ice Bats feature the goaltending tandem of Peter Brady and Matt Barnes, which is the same tandem that led the Bats to the 2003 President s Cup Championships. The Bees have never faced either of the goaltenders. Bees goaltender Jeff Levy received all the decisions (8-4-0) in net last season against the Bats. Vezina saw 29:29 of time last season against the Bats and was flawless. Last season, the Killer Bees held the Bats power play unit to 5.2% (3/58) on the man advantage, while scoring 4 shorthanded goals.
The Monitor's Preview: http://olive2.themonitor.com/Repository/getFiles.asp?Style=OliveXLib:ArticleToMail&Type=text/html&Path=MTR/2004/10/23&ID=Ar01901
Austin American Statesman Preview:
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2004
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 Before 8,002 - Laredo Bucks
- Kings win opener, 5-4 - Mississippi RiverKings
- RiverKings squeak by Brahmas in a shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bats Top Bees 5-2 in Season Opener - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings encourage fans to seek alternate routes, arrive earlier - Mississippi RiverKings
- Meet the Brahmas party this Monday - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Fort Worth falls in season opener - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Gorillas fall to Odessa but host Lubbock tonight - Amarillo Gorillas
- Killer Bees Road Game Preview @ Austin - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Tarantulas fall to Thunder in opener - Topeka Tarantulas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.