Giants Wrap up Weekend with a Home Loss to Blazers
Vancouver Giants goaltender David Tendeck vs. the Kamloops Blazers
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Rik Fedyck)
Vancouver, B.C. - Sunday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants (19-19-2-2) wrapped up a three-in-three weekend with a 4-0 loss to the Kamloops Blazers (30-11-2-1). Connor Zary scored once and added two assists for the B.C. Division leading Blazers who scored three times in the opening 10 minutes and 36 seconds. David Tendeck made 36 saves for the Giants while Dylan Garand stopped all 21 shots he faced to earn the shutout for Kamloops. The loss snapped a two-game weekend winning streak for the Giants while the Blazers have now earned eight straight victories.
KAM - 4:35 into the first period on a power play, Orrin Centazzo bagged his league-leading 33rd goal of the season on a Max Martin rebound. Connor Zary earned the second assist.
KAM - Logan Stankoven (17) increased the Kamloops lead to 2-0 off the rush at 8:49. Kyrell Sopotyk earned the lone assist.
KAM - The final Blazers goal of the period came at 10:36 from defenceman Libor Zabransky who snuck a low shot past David Tendeck from the right-wing circle. Connor Zary and Max Martin each recorded their second assists of the night on the play.
Shots: 17 -7 Kamloops
Shots: 15 - 4 Kamloops
KAM - With 2:04 left in the game, Connor Zary scored his 28th of the season off the rush on a power play. Ryan Hughes and Orrin Centazzo added assists.
Shots: 10 - 8 Vancouver
Final Score: Kamloops 4 - Vancouver 0
Final Shots: 40 - 21 Kamloops
David Tendeck: 36/40 saves for Vancouver (11-12-1-1)
Dylan Garand: 21/21 saves for Kamloops (24-9-1-1)
Kamloops Power Play: 2/7
Vancouver Power Play: 0/1
Connor Zary (KAM - 1G, 2A)
Dylan Garand (KAM - 21 Saves, Shutout)
David Tendeck (VAN - 36 Saves)
Next Giants Game: Thursday night at 7:30 PM against the Everett Silvertips at home.
"We swept our biggest rival this weekend. That was a grind. Coming into today we knew we had to stay close. We got ourselves into a hole that we couldn't get out of." - Giants Head Coach Michael Dyck
"We had a great week of practice to get ready for this weekend, and we'll do the same to make sure we're ready for Thursday." - Michael Dyck
The Vancouver Giants finished their weekend with a 2-1 record which also included back-to-back victories over Victoria. The Giants were 4-1 winners at home Friday and then followed up with a 6-2 road victory last night on the Island.
At the conclusion of Sunday's game against Kamloops, the Giants remained three points back of Kelowna for third place in the B.C. Division standings. The Kelowna Rockets were in action Sunday in Portland.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- T-Birds Fall to Tips But Remain in Wild Card Playoff Spot - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Wrap up Weekend with a Home Loss to Blazers - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Bested 4-2 by Oil Kings - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Sawchuk Buries First Career Hat Trick as Oil Kings Tame Tigers, 4-2 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Game 44 at Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 19 at Winnipeg - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE and Hitmen Meet on Consecutive Nights - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Hub: January 19 - Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks blank Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Power Play Strikes Four Times in a 6-2 Triumph on the Island - Vancouver Giants
- Americans Shutout in Kamloops - Tri-City Americans
- Berezowski Leads Charge in 8-0 Leveling of Seattle - Everett Silvertips
- Tips Defeat T-Birds in First Game of Home-And-Home Series - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Jacobson Scores Twice as Chiefs Top Pats - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Hurricanes 6-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Royals Downed by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Battle Back from Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Raiders in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Tame Broncos for Second Consecutive Night - Saskatoon Blades
- Chiefs Distance Pats in Third - Regina Pats
- 1st WHL Shutout for Giannuzzi - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Clinch a Berth in the 2020 WHL Playoffs
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win
- Giants Sign 2002-Born Forward Kadyn Chabot
- Florchuk's Three-Point Night Leads Giants to Their 10th Straight Win