Giants Power Play Strikes Four Times in a 6-2 Triumph on the Island
Vancouver Giants left wing Jackson Shepard scores against the Victoria Royals
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Kevin Light)
Victoria, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants are now two-thirds of the way towards a perfect weekend. Saturday night in Victoria the G-Men (19-18-2-2) earned a 6-2 victory over the Victoria Royals (25-15-3-0) in the back-half of a home-and-home series. Michael Dyck's Giants scored a season high four power play goals as five different forwards recorded multi-point games. Jackson Shepard led all Giants with a goal and two assists. Trent Miner made 19 saves in goal for Vancouver who are now just three points shy of third place in the B.C. Division standings. Phillip Schultz and Gary Haden scored for Victoria.
VIC - Royals captain Phillip Schultz opened the scoring at 5:17. Defenceman Will Warm's pass from the right-wing point found Schultz in front. From there, Schultz snuck a forehand shot past the stick of Trent Miner for his seventh goal of the season.
VAN - With one minute and 12 seconds left in the period, Jackson Shepard tied the game for Vancouver with a power play deflection. Shepard (7) parked himself in front of the net and tipped home a Michal Kvasnica point shot. The power play was far from done.
VAN - 22 seconds into the second, Tyler Preziuso (16) converted off a two-on-one rush with Tristen Nielsen to give the Giants the lead. Jackson Shepard added the second assist.
VAN - Rookie Zack Ostapchuk then got in on the act, one-timing his fifth of the season past Victoria's Adam Evanoff in close off a Justin Sourdif pass at 2:56.
VAN - Eric Florchuk then notched his fourth goal of the weekend on a five-on-three power play chance for the Giants. Florchuk's 15th goal of the season came off a one-timer from the right-wing circle. Bowen Byram and Tyler Preziuso assisted.
VAN - Justin Sourdif made it 5-1 at 13:57 off a scramble In front of the Victoria goal. Sourdif's 14th goal of the season came via the power play and was set up by Holden Katzalay and Michal Kvasnica.
Shots: 23 - 3 Vancouver
VAN - The final power play goal of the night for the Giants came courtesy of Cole Shepard (9) at 12:25 off a shot from the slot that was set up by both Jackson Shepard and Alex Kannok Leipert.
VIC - With 3:30 remaining, Gary Haden scored his 15th of the season on a power play. Brayden Tracey and Mitchell Prowse both added assists.
Final Score: 6-2 Vanouver
Final Shots: 38 - 21 Vancouver
Trent Miner: 19/21 saves for Vancouver (8-7-1-1)
Adam Evanoff: 32/38 saves for Victoria (5-14-1-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 4/7
Victoria Power Play:1/2
Jackson Shepard (VAN - 1G, 2A)
Tyler Preziuso (VAN - 1G, 1A)
Justin Sourdif (VAN - 1G, 1A)
Next Giants Game: Tomorrow night at home against Kamloops at 4:00 PM.
GET TICKETS HERE
Prior to Saturday, the last time the Vancouver Giants scored four power play goals in a game was on Sunday, November 12th, 2017 at home against the Edmonton Oil Kings.
Since the trade deadline the Vancouver Giants power play has gone six-for-13.
Jackson Shepard has two career three-point games. Both have come this season with the Vancouver Giants. Prior to Saturday his previous three-point game (2G, 1A) took place on Opening Night (September 20th) in Prince George.
The Giants are now 3-3 against Victoria this season and are 2-1 against them on the road.
12 of the Giants 18 skaters recorded at least one point during Saturday's win.
The Giants are now just three points back of Kelowna for third in the B.C. Division and hold two games in hand.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2020
- T-Birds Fall to Tips But Remain in Wild Card Playoff Spot - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Giants Wrap up Weekend with a Home Loss to Blazers - Vancouver Giants
- Tigers Bested 4-2 by Oil Kings - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Sawchuk Buries First Career Hat Trick as Oil Kings Tame Tigers, 4-2 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Game 44 at Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 19 at Winnipeg - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE and Hitmen Meet on Consecutive Nights - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Hub: January 19 - Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks blank Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Power Play Strikes Four Times in a 6-2 Triumph on the Island - Vancouver Giants
- Americans Shutout in Kamloops - Tri-City Americans
- Berezowski Leads Charge in 8-0 Leveling of Seattle - Everett Silvertips
- Tips Defeat T-Birds in First Game of Home-And-Home Series - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Jacobson Scores Twice as Chiefs Top Pats - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Storm Hurricanes 6-2 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Royals Downed by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Rebels Battle Back from Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Raiders in a Shootout - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Tame Broncos for Second Consecutive Night - Saskatoon Blades
- Chiefs Distance Pats in Third - Regina Pats
- 1st WHL Shutout for Giannuzzi - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Clinch a Berth in the 2020 WHL Playoffs
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win
- Giants Sign 2002-Born Forward Kadyn Chabot
- Florchuk's Three-Point Night Leads Giants to Their 10th Straight Win