Giants Fall 6-3 to Chiefs Saturday Night at Home
Vancouver Giants centre Justin Sourdif challenges the Spokane Chiefs
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Rik Fedyck)
Vancouver, B.C. - Saturday night at the Langley Events Centre the Vancouver Giants (17-18-2-2) dropped a 6-3 decision to the Spokane Chiefs (22-13-4-1). Eli Zummack paced the Chiefs with two goals and two assists to extend his point-streak to 17 straight games. Five other Chiefs recorded multi-point games. The Giants received first period goals from Tristen Nielsen, Tyler Preziuso and Zack Ostapchuk. Both Alex Kannok Leipert (3 assists) and Eric Florchuk (2 assists) added multi-point games for the Giants. For the Chiefs it marked their second victory in as many nights against the Giants.
SPO - Filip Kral struck a minute and 38 seconds into the first to put the Chiefs ahead 1-0. Kral's 10th goal of the season came off an Eli Zummack rebound.
SPO - Eli Zummack (15) increased the Chiefs lead to 2-0 at 4:15 off a feed from Luke Toporowski off the rush.
VAN - Tristen Nielsen answered with a power play goal at 6:14. For Nielsen it was his 20th goal of the season, marking the first time he's reached that plateau in his four-year WHL career. Alex Kannok Leipert and Eric Forchuk both assisted.
VAN - The Giants power play clicked again at 9:59. This time it was Tyler Preziuso who snuck home his 15th of the season from the left side of the Chiefs net. Alex Kannok Leipert and Eric Florchuk both factored into that goal as well.
VAN - With 42 seconds left in the period, Zack Ostapchuk (4) tipped home a pass from Kaden Kohle off a two-on-one rush to push the Giants ahead by a 3-2 score.
Shots: 16 - 7 Vancouver
*Tristen Nielsen was stopped on a penalty shot by Spokane netminder Lukas Parik at 8:41.
SPO - Adam Beckman's 30th goal of the season moved Spokane back even at 15:04 of the middle frame. Beckman's goal came off a feed from Jack Finley from behind the net.
Shots: 10 - 8 Spokane
SPO - Eli Zummack put Spokane back on top at 9:35 of the third period off another slick setup from Luke Toporowski. Graham Sward also factored into the eventual game-winning goal with his second assist of the game.
SPO - Cordel Larson potted his 12th of the season into an empty net at 18:50, making the score 5-3 Spokane.
SPO - Leif Mattson's empty-net goal with nine seconds to go in the third, moved the Spokane lead to 6-3. Both Eli Zummack and Adam Beckman assisted.
Shots: 15 - 8 Spokane
Final Score: Spokane 6 - Vancouver 3
Final Shots: 32 - 32
David Tendeck: 26/30 saves for Vancouver (10-11-1-1)
Lukas Parik: 29/32 saves for Spokane (11-3-2-0)
Vancouver Power Play: 2/4
Spokane Power Play: 0/1
Eli Zummack (SPO - 2G, 2A, 9 Shots)
Alex Kannok Leipert (VAN - 3A)
Eric Florchuk (VAN - 2A)
Next Giants Game: Friday night at home against the Victoria Royals at 7:30 PM. That night former GM Scott Bonner will be added to the Vancouver Giants Wall of Honour.
Tristen Nielsen has now scored in four straight games for the Giants.
Saturday's game marked the first ever three-point game for Giants captain Alex Kannok Leipert.
Eric Florchuk has posted three assists through his first two games with the Vancouver Giants.
The Giants finished their season 1-3 against Spokane.
The Giants remain seven points back of Kelowna for third in the B.C. Division and are one point ahead of Seattle for the first wild-card playoff spot in the Western Conference.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2020
- Pats Overwhelm Everett, 6-3 - Regina Pats
- Broncos Battle Hard But Fall 3-1 in Calgary - Swift Current Broncos
- Strong Second Period Lifts Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 12 vs. Swift Current - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Road Swing in Everett Sunday - Regina Pats
- Rockets fall to Blazers - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Earn Point in Overtime Loss to Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
- Ams Hold on for 5-4 Victory over Regina - Tri-City Americans
- Gauthier Stops All but One to Lift Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- T-Birds Toss Tips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Win An Overtime Thriller in Victoria - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants Fall 6-3 to Chiefs Saturday Night at Home - Vancouver Giants
- Seattle Holds off Tips, 4-3 - Everett Silvertips
- Pats' Rally Falls Short - Regina Pats
- Zummack's Four-Point Effort Leads Chiefs to Weekend Sweep - Spokane Chiefs
- Rebels Frozen out by Ice - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Get Point in Shootout Loss to Oil Kings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Fight Late But Fall to the Tigers at Mosaic Place - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Gauthier Holds Fort against Blades - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Clinch a Berth in the 2020 WHL Playoffs
- Giants Winning Streak Ends at 11 After a 2-1 Setback in Everett
- Giants Erase a Three-Goal Third Period Deficit to Earn 11th Straight Win
- Giants Sign 2002-Born Forward Kadyn Chabot
- Florchuk's Three-Point Night Leads Giants to Their 10th Straight Win