Generals Streak Stopped At Three
PORT HURON, MI - The Flint Generals and the Port Huron IceHawks three-game mini-series concluded Sunday with a 3-2'Hawks victory.
For the first time in the series, Port Huron scored not only the first goal of the game but in the first period. Kerry Bowman and Brandon Naurato sped down the ice beating the Generals defense creating an odd-man rush and Bowman found the back of the net. Despite being outshot 16 to 3 at one point (17 to 10 by the end of the period) the IceHawks held onto the leading heading into the first intermission.
There were only two penalties in the middle period but there were also two Generals goals. John Ronan notched his 19th of the season with an unassisted goal about two minutes into play, tying the game at 1-1. Later in the period Matt Moffat, Dan Lapointe and Jamie Schaafsma had complete control of the puck for a good minute of play down in their offensive end and their hard work paid off when Schaafsma followed Ronan's lead and at 14:26 put Flint ahead on the scoreboard. For the second time in three games, the Generals headed into the final twenty minutes with a 2-1 lead.
Unfortunately for the Generals, Port Huron came out firing in the third period. More than doubling the Gens in shots, the IceHawks' offensive found its rhythm. Tab Lardner tied the score at 2-2 with a shorthanded score halfway through the period. Jason Selleke, who had a rough night getting hit up high by three pucks, lit the lamp with what proved to be the game winner.
The Generals won the first two games of the series and their last three against the IceHawks, including two straight road victories.
Flint went 0 of 4 with the man advantage and Nick Niedert stopped 38 of 41 shots faced.
The Generals have postponed the game scheduled for 10:30 AM Tuesday, February 16 making their next game Friday the 19th when they host the Dayton Gems.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 14, 2010
- PrairieThunder Drop 5-2 Decision to Fort Wayne - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Icehawks Snap Four-Game Losing Skid With Win Over Flint - Port Huron Icehawks
- Dayton Gems Shoot Down The Quad City Mallards 4 - 2 - Dayton Gems
- Generals Streak Stopped At Three - Flint Generals
- Dayton Outlasts Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- League-Leading Lumberjacks Lusty League-Wide Assault Continues - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Generals Postpone February 16th Game - Flint Generals
- IHL Game #172 Rescheduled - IHL 2
- Lumberjacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals