Generals Fail To Make Up Ground, Drop 2nd In a Row To Port Huron
FLINT, MI - Despite firing 47 shots on goal for the second night in a row, the Flint Generals still came up on the short end of a 5-3 score in front of 1,707 fans at Perani Arena tonight.
The Generals (29-34-3-4) failed to make up any ground on the Bloomington Prairie Thunder who they trail by 7 points for the final playoff spot. Both the Generals and Bloomington have 6 games remaining in their schedule including what could be a pivotal head to head encounter with the PrairieThunder next Friday night in Flint.
Port Huron, who never trailed in the game, jumped out to a 2-0 lead on goals from Nick Lindberg and Mike Kinnie before Bryan Smolinski brought the crowd to life with a short-handed breakaway goal that cut the lead to 2-1 after one period. Pascal Rheaume tied the game for the Generals 4 minutes into the 2nd frame, but Port Huron goals by Ian Turner and Kerry Bowman 22 seconds apart gave the IceHawks their two goal cushion back. Rick Smith scored for Flint with just over 3 minutes left in the period to again cut the lead to one, as the period ended with Port Huron leading 4-3. IceHawks goaltender Adam Russo turned aside all 17 shots he faced in the 3rd period, and Ian Turner scored his second of the game into an empty net with 1:44 left to seal the victory for Port Huron.
The Generals take the ice again this Friday night at 7:30 at Perani Arena where they faced these same Port Huron IceHawks as they continue in their quest to qualify for the playoffs. Tickets for Friday night's game are available in person at the Perani Arena Box Office, online at Ticketmaster.com or by phone by calling (810) 742-0580.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from April 7, 2010
- Generals Fail To Make Up Ground, Drop 2nd In a Row To Port Huron - Flint Generals
- Dayton Gems Denied by the Quad City Mallards 4-1 - Dayton Gems
- Mallards Break Loose in Second, Down Gems 4-1 - Quad City Mallards
- PrairieThunder Playoff Tickets - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Lipsett Named IHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Named IHL Member Club Of The Year - Quad City Mallards
- Quad City's Lipsett Named IHL Most Sportsmanlike Player - IHL 2
- IHL Proud To Honor Quad City As Member Club Of The Year - IHL 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals