Generals Earn Big 4-2 Win Over 'Jacks
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals and the Muskegon Lumberjacks Monday night at Perani Arena for their rescheduled game from back in November, and it was Flint that skated away with the big 4-2 victory.
The 'Jacks Robin Bouchard lit the lamp 2:14 into the opening period beating Nick Niedert stick side after the Flint netminder gave up a big rebound, to take an early 1-0 lead. The Generals answered.16 seconds later with a goal by Nate Ward, his seventh of the season.
Muskegon regained the lead 1:28 after the goal from Ward. Jonathan DiPace had his stick on the ice, took pass across crease and redirected the puck past Niedert. Once again the hometown team even things up, this time with a score from Rick Smith as the Gens had an extra attacker waiting for a delayed power play.
The Generals had an opportunity to take the lead when Jamie Schaafsma was awarded a penalty shot, but Lundin made the save keeping the score tied at 2-2. With five minutes remaining in the period, Flint's captain Pascal Rheaume gave the Gens their first lead of the game when he redirected a John Ronan shot through the pads of Lundin. The assist brings Ronan's point streak to 12 games, who returned Monday night after missing 7 games due to a groin injury.
Fans were given a scare when early in the second period Nick Niedert laid motionless on the ice for a few moments after he was run over by Craig Cescon who was pushed into Niedert. It looked as though emergency goaltender Sergei Zvyagin would take over but Niedert decided against taking a seat on the bench and made numerous saves. Shots were few and far between in the middle period, with Lundin only facing 6 shots while Niedert was only forced to stop five.
Both goaltenders came up with big saves in the final frame, especially Niedert. The 'Jacks, still down only one goal pulled Lundin for the extra skater with over a minute remaining and Smith made sure to capitalize giving the Gens a 4-2 lead and Niedert held on for the win.
Flint went 0 of 2 with the man advantage while Muskegon scored on 1 of 3. Niedert stopped 35 of 37 shots faced while Lundin stopped 23 of 26.
The Generals head to Moline, IL Wednesday for a meeting with the Quad City Mallards. Puck drops at 7:00 PM CST 8:00 PM EST. Action returns to Perani February 13th when the Port Huron IceHawks come to town.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from January 25, 2010
- Generals Earn Big 4-2 Win Over 'Jacks - Flint Generals
- Booras Earns Player Of Week Award - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Dayton Gems Weekly - Dayton Gems
- Two Players Net Hat Tricks During Week 15 - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors For Week Fifteen - IHL 2
- Komets Host Quad City Friday; Three Games Slated For Week 16 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Generals Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
- Generals Bring In Lapointe And Nathe - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals