Gems Announce Dynamic Duo
Dayton, OH- The Dayton Gems Ownership Group, (proud member of the CHL) announced today the signing of veteran Forward Chris Lipsett as well as their partnership with the new title sponsor for the 2010-11 season, Kettering Medical Center.
Lipsett, 36, comes to Dayton after playing with the Quad City Mallards of the then International Hockey League (IHL) during the 2009-10 season. While in Quad City, Lipsett appeared in 76 games and recorded 65 points on 28 goals and 37 assists. In addition to being the second leading scorer on the Mallards, Lipsett surpassed the 700 point plateau for the first time in his illustrious professional career. A graduate of Clarkson University in 1996, Lipsett began his professional career back in the 1996-97 season when he signed with the Roanoke Express of the ECHL. After winning three Division Championships in Roanoke, he went onto play with the Pee Dee Pride for the 1998-99 season and not only won another Division Championship, but also the league title. He spent the next two years in the American Hockey League (AHL) before going onto play in Europe for five out of the next six years of his career. During one of those seasons while playing for the Sheffield Steelers of the BISL he led the league in goals scored and was named as an All Star on his way to winning another Championship. In 2006-07, Lipsett became a player/assistant with the Amarillo Gorillas of the Central Hockey League (CHL). After two years in Amarillo, Lipsett went on to join the Rapid City Rush (also of the CHL) where during the 2008-09 season he surpassed the 300 career-goal mark. He has recorded at least 20 goals in 12 of his last 13 seasons and will be entering his 15th season of professional hockey during the upcoming 2010-11 season. Chris is excited to call Dayton his new home along with his wife Mandy and three children Keaton, (7) Zander (4) and Harper (17 months).
"Chris brings a tremendous veteran presence to our team," said Head Coach and General Manager Brian Gratz. "He is going to be a big part of everything we will be doing both on and off the ice. I know that the younger players are going to benefit tremendously by having a player of his caliber and character in the locker room and on the ice."
As previously mentioned in addition to signing Chris Lipsett, the Gems are proud to welcome the Kettering Medical Center as their title sponsor for the 2010-11 season.
"We are very excited to be partners with the Dayton Gems," said Diane Ryckman the Director of Orthopedic Service Line and Rehab Medicine. "We are supportive of professional hockey and are looking forward to the great things the Gems will bring to the Dayton area."
"This is a very exciting day for the Gems franchise both on and off of the ice," said Gems President Joe Greene. "Not only are we signing one of the premier players in the Central Hockey League, but we also have the opportunity to welcome Kettering Medical Center as our title sponsor for the 2010-11 season. We look forward to working with all of the great people at Kettering Medical Center as we continue to grow hockey in the Dayton community."
Season tickets are on sale now!! Full and partial ticket plans are available. For more information call the Gems offices at 937-275-7777 or log onto our website at www.daytongems.com . You can also catch us on facebook at facebook.com/daytongems. Opening night at Hara Arena is Saturday, October 16th as the Gems host the Evansville IceMen at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 30, 2010
- RiverKings Season Tickets Released Monday, October 4th - Mississippi RiverKings
- Couch Joins 'Bugs Defensive Corps - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Set to Open 2010 Training Camp Monday - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Former NHL Draft Pick Ryan Jardine - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards, CBS4 Team up for Let's Play Hockey Kid of the Game - Quad City Mallards
- Gems Announce Dynamic Duo - Dayton Gems
- Bees Select Lavon as New Play-By Play Voice - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Sundogs Return Former CHL All-Star Joel Irving - Arizona Sundogs
- Darryl Bootland Assigned to Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Announce Training Camp Schedule - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Sign Former NHL Draft Pick Josh Beaulieu - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"