Couch Joins 'Bugs Defensive Corps
BOSSIER CITY, LA - The Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the Central Hockey League today announced the signing of defenseman Michael Couch for the 2010-11 season. Couch is the seventh defenseman and 16th player signed by the club with training camp set to begin on Monday.
Couch, 27, comes to the Mudbugs for his fifth pro season after spending the last three years in the ECHL. At 6-4 and 210 pounds, he brings size and nearly 200 games worth of pro experience to a deep 'Bugs defensive corps.
"We're definitely going to lean on the experience of a guy like Michael," said Head Coach Scott Muscutt. "He's a solid defensive player who brings a great deal of poise and grit to our blueline, and I expect him to be an impact guy for us. I'm happy to welcome him to our hockey team."
In 71 ECHL appearances with the Johnstown Chiefs and Gwinnett Gladiators last season, Couch scored one goal and assisted on ten others. He also compiled ten fighting majors during the course of the season on his way to 112 total penalty minutes.
Over the prior two seasons, the Hanna, Alberta native totaled 21 points and 168 penalty minutes in 81 games for the ECHL's Mississippi Sea Wolves before his 2008-09 season was cut short by injury just 15 games in.
Couch played four seasons of junior with Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and two more years collegiately at St. Thomas University (Fredericton, New Brunswick). He then spent his rookie pro season playing overseas in Torino, Italy. In 173 career games, he has totaled 42 points (six goals, 36 assists) and 312 penalty minutes.
The Mudbugs 2010-2011 season starts on Friday, October 15 against the Mississippi RiverKings at the CenturyTel Center. Season tickets and mini-plans are on sale now, so call 752-BUGS or stop by the team office inside the CenturyTel Center to get yours today! For all the latest Mudbugs news, log on to www.mudbugshockey.com .
Season and group tickets are on sale by calling 318-752-BUGS (2847) or by visiting our website at www.mudbugshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from September 30, 2010
- RiverKings Season Tickets Released Monday, October 4th - Mississippi RiverKings
- Couch Joins 'Bugs Defensive Corps - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Set to Open 2010 Training Camp Monday - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks Sign Former NHL Draft Pick Ryan Jardine - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards, CBS4 Team up for Let's Play Hockey Kid of the Game - Quad City Mallards
- Gems Announce Dynamic Duo - Dayton Gems
- Bees Select Lavon as New Play-By Play Voice - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Sundogs Return Former CHL All-Star Joel Irving - Arizona Sundogs
- Darryl Bootland Assigned to Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Announce Training Camp Schedule - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Sign Former NHL Draft Pick Josh Beaulieu - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.