Garth Lagerwey Named President & CEO of Atlanta United FC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United FC today announced Garth Lagerwey has been named president and chief executive officer. Lagerwey, most-recently general manager and president of soccer of Major League Soccer's Seattle Sounders, has signed a multi-year contract and will assume leadership of Atlanta United, Atlanta United 2 and the Atlanta United Academy effective today.
Lagerwey comes to Atlanta after a very successful run in Seattle where he led the Sounders to the 2022 Concacaf Champions League title earlier this year, as well as MLS Cup championships in 2019 and 2016 and made the MLS Cup final on two other occasions. His Sounders team also reached the Leagues Cup Final in 2021.
Before his move to Seattle, Lagerwey served as general manager and senior vice president of soccer operations for MLS's Real Salt Lake, guiding the team to its lone MLS title in 2009 and one other appearance in the MLS Cup final. His Salt Lake teams also reached the US Open Cup final in 2013 and in 2011 RSL became the first MLS team to reach the Concacaf Champions League Final.
After graduating from Duke University in 1994, Lagerwey played five seasons as a goalkeeper in MLS with the Kansas City Wizards, Dallas Burn and Miami Fusion. He then went on to earn his juris doctorate from Georgetown School of Law in 2004.
"Our foundational goal from day one in Major League Soccer has been for Atlanta United to be a contender for MLS Cup each year, so we set out to find a leader with deep knowledge and experience in the league and a proven track record of success," said AMBSE CEO, Steve Cannon. "We have certainly found that leader in Garth Lagerwey and could not be more thrilled to have him take the reins of our team. His body of work in Seattle and Salt Lake City speaks for itself. His experience as a player in the league and time as an executive who has developed a keen understanding of both the soccer and business sides of running an organization made him the perfect fit as we move forward with Atlanta United."
On the strength of Seattle winning the Concacaf Champions League, Lagerwey was selected as Best Executive at the 2022 World Football Summit. He was named MLS's Sporting Executive of the Year at the conclusion of Seattle's 2019 MLS Cup championship season and has served as co-chair of the MLS Chief Soccer Officer Committee since 2018. The academies he's overseen in Seattle and Salt Lake have won multiple championships and his MLS clubs have qualified for the playoffs with four different head coaches and earned 24 home playoff matches. The teams he led qualified for the MLS Playoffs a remarkable 14 seasons in a row from 2008-2021.
"I see the opportunity to lead Atlanta United as a dream come true for me," said Lagerwey. "The opportunity to take on the chief executive role at a club with incredible ownership, unmatched resources and infrastructure, and the amazing fan support this club has enjoyed from the start, all made this move the perfect next step in my career. Honestly, it's the chance of a lifetime and I could not be more excited to get to Atlanta and get to work."
Lagerwey is a native of Elmhurst, Illinois and he and his wife, Hilary, are the parents of three sons (Bennett, Finn and Sam).
The search was led by Cannon and AMBSE Chief Human Resources Officer, Tim Goodly, with support from retained search firm, Sportsology Group.
STATEMENT FROM ARTHUR M. BLANK, OWNER AND CHAIRMAN, BLANK FAMILY OF BUSINESSES
"I have enjoyed getting to know Garth through this process and it has become obvious why success has followed him throughout his career. We expect to be a championship caliber team on and off the pitch every year and I'm confident Garth is the right leader to build on a very strong foundation and help deliver our city and fans what we've promised - more trophies and a club they will always be proud to have represent this community."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 22, 2022
- Columbus Crew Acquires up to $350,000 in General Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo FC in Exchange for Artur - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids Retain MLS Rights to Lucas Esteves During Re-Entry Draft - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 22, 2022 - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Select Midfielder Michael Baldisimo in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Garth Lagerwey Named President & CEO of Atlanta United - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution Select Forward Bobby Wood in Stage 2 of 2022 MLS Re-Entry Draft - New England Revolution
- Garth Lagerwey Named President & CEO of Atlanta United FC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in General Allocation Money and the 9th Pick in Stage 2 of the 2022 MLS Re-Entry Draft from New England - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Select Víctor Vázquez in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft - Toronto FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Midfielder Felipe Martins - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Players Collaborative Fund Donates $40,000 to Breakthrough Greater Boston, Chica Project, and Women of Color Entrepreneurs - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces Eligible Player List Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Play Cruz Azul, Inter Miami CF in Leagues Cup 2023
- Atlanta United Statement on Passing of Anton Walkes
- Atlanta United Exercises Offseason Buyout on Josef Martínez
- Atlanta United Signs Free Agent Goalkeeper Clément Diop
- Atlanta United Announces 2023 Preseason Schedule