Fukufuji Returns To Manchester
MANCHESTER, NH - The Manchester Monarchs, the primary affiliate of the Los Angeles Kings, have recalled goaltender Yutaka Fukufuji from the Long Beach Ice Dogs of the ECHL, Monarchs Director of Hockey Operations Hubie McDonough announced today.
Fukufuji, 24, was recalled (emergency basis) by the Kings from the Monarchs on Friday and was assigned to Long Beach on Sunday. He dressed during Saturday's Kings-Dallas game at STAPLES Center and did not play.
With the Monarchs this season, he has not appeared in a game. The 6-foot-1, 180-pound native of Tokyo, Japan, was recalled by Manchester from the Reading Royals, the Kings/Monarchs ECHL affiliate, on November 30. He has a 3-3-0 record, a 3.19 goals-against-average and a .898 save-percentage in 10 appearances with the Royals this season.
Originally selected by the Kings in the eighth-round (238th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Fukufuji is just the second player born in Japan to ever be drafted (defenseman Hiroyuki Miura was drafted by Montreal in the 11th-round, 260th overall, in the 1992 NHL Entry Draft). Fukufuji has not appeared in an NHL game (no player born in Japan has played a game in the NHL).
The Monarchs travel to Massachusetts on Wednesday, December 20 to face-off with the Lowell Devils at 7:05 p.m. at the Tsongas Arena. Catch all of the play-by-play action of Monarchs hockey with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGIR-AM 610 and at www.monarchshockey.com. Watch the game live on B2 Networks for just $6 per game. Log onto www.monarchshockey.com and click on the link to B2 Networks ten minutes prior to each Monarchs game to watch the game live!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 19, 2006
- Backes Collects First NHL Point Debut with Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Penguins acquire Brookbank from Boston, Assigned to Wilkes-Barre - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flames Recall Moss and Boyd From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Amerk players receive first NHL recalls of the season - Rochester Americans
- Callahan to Rangers, Ozolinsh joins Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Knights Host A Weekend Just For Kids - Abbotsford Heat
- Fukufuji Returns To Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Griffins Celebrate Holidays at Home - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Jose recalls goaltender Dimitri Patzold from Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Rookie Backes Recalled by St. Louis Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Announce Details of Time Warner Cable 'Buy One, Get One Free' Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Spread Holiday Cheer - Bridgeport Islanders
- Day nine of Rampage 12-Days of Giving - San Antonio Rampage
- Reid to Join Canada at Spengler Cup - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage weekly - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose snag five of eight in Texas - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.