Four-Run First Powers 'Birds to Fourth Straight Win
SALISBURY, MD - Behind the strength of a four-run first inning, the Delmarva Shorebirds held on for a 4-3 victory over the Fredericksburg Nationals on Thursday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
With the win, the Shorebirds (13-23) have secured at least a series split with the Nationals (19-16).
The Shorebirds mounted their first inning rally all with two outs. Darell Hernaiz singled and was followed by consecutive walks to Isaac Bellony and Isaac De León. Ryan Higgins then singled up the middle to plate two. Josué Cruz capped the rally with a two-run double down the rightfield line to make it 4-0.
The FredNats chipped away at the lead with two in the third. Jacob Young singled to start the inning and Jeremy De La Rosa then reached on an error putting men at second and third. Back-to-back sacrifice flies from Brady House and Steven Williams made it a 4-2 game.
Another run came across in the seventh for the FredNats. Viandel Peña doubled to start the inning and then swiped third before scoring on another House sacrifice fly to make it 4-3.
Preston Price held serve down the stretch however, retiring the final eight he faced to secure the 4-3 win for Delmarva.
Thomas Girard (1-0) earned the win out of the bullpen for the Shorebirds with two scoreless innings, allowing a hit and a walk while striking out two.
Rodney Theophile (3-1) suffered his first loss of the season for the FredNats, allowing four runs on four hits and two walks, while striking out three over five innings.
Price went three at the back-end to earn his third save of the year for Delmarva, allowing a run on one hit and a walk, striking out four.
The Shorebirds continue their six-game series with the Nationals on Friday, May 20. Daniel Federman (0-4, 7.11) gets the ball for Delmarva against Jackson Rutledge (0-1, 11.25) for Fredericksburg. First pitch from Perdue Stadium is slated for 7:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.TV and theshorebirds.com with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 19, 2022
- Cornielle and Rodriguez Lead Micro Brews to 9-2 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Birds Squash Late Surge for 6-5 Win over Fireflies - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Unearned Runs Haunt Augusta in Defeat - Augusta GreenJackets
- House Drives in Two More vs. Delmarva - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Four-Run First Powers 'Birds to Fourth Straight Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Roll to Third Straight Win over Augusta - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late Rally Falls Short in 6-5 Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes May 19 vs Myrtle Beach - Columbia Fireflies
- Salem Red Sox Announce Annual Guns and Hoses Charity Softball Game - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Late Inning Surge Again Sees 'Birds Fall to FredNats in Series Finale
- Season High Five Errors Plague Shorebirds in Loss to FredNats as Kjerstad Extends Hitting Streak to 14 Games
- Kjerstad Smacks His Second Homer to Extend Hitting Streak to 13
- Solid Performances from Deivy Cruz and Heston Kjerstad Not Enough as 'Birds Walked-Off by FredNats
- Multiple Big Innings Down 'Birds in Fredericksburg; Kjerstad Turns Hitting Streak up to 11