Former Crunch Member Derick Brassard Named NHL Rookie of the Month
Syracuse, NY (November 4, 2008) - The Syracuse Crunch announced today that Columbus Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard has been named the NHL's rookie of the month for October. He becomes the second Blue Jackets player to be named NHL rookie of the month (Rick Nash, November 2002).
Brassard, 21, scored nine points (4g, 5a) and had a +3 plus-minus rating in 10 games. He led all NHL rookies in points, while ranking second in goals and assists (tied). He registered a point in eight-of-10 games and tied for the club lead in assists and points, while ranking tied for second in goals. Among the players he beat out for the award was teammate Jakub Voracek, who ranked third among all rookies in scoring with seven points (3g, 4a) in 10 games.
In his rookie professional campaign with the Crunch last season, Brassard appeared in 42 games and registered 15 goals, 36 assists and 51 penalty minutes. He was selected to play in the AHL All-Star Game, but did not play due to a call up with Columbus.
In addition, Brassard added 13 points (4g, 9a) in 13 playoff games with the Crunch last year. He also earned American Hockey League Rookie of the Month honors for October and April last season as a member of the Crunch.
A native of Hull, Quebec, Brassard was drafted by Columbus in the first round, sixth overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 4, 2008
- Houston Aeros Partner With Woodlands Custom Vision for 08-09 Season - Houston Aeros
- Former Crunch Member Derick Brassard Named NHL Rookie of the Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Columbus Assigns Dan LaCosta, Recalls Steve Mason - Syracuse Crunch
- Houston Aeros Fifth Annual Military Appreciation Night to be held November 22 - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Seek 500th Win Wednesday - Adirondack Phantoms
- Radja recalled to IceHogs - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs announce game time changes - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs Release Rheault - Manchester Monarchs
- Sobotka Retuns To Providence - Providence Bruins
- BoDeans Added to Admirals Concert List - Milwaukee Admirals
- Carolina Assigns Forward Dan LaCouture To Albany - Albany River Rats
- Moose assign trio to ECHL - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Sign Winger Pierre-Luc Faubert - Binghamton Senators
- Sigalet Shines on the Back End - Syracuse Crunch
- Canucks recall Ouellet and re-assign Krog to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Announce Details of New York State Lottery Night - Syracuse Crunch
- Coyotes Trade Rampage Defenseman Drew Fata - San Antonio Rampage
- Worcester Sharks Begin Quest For Unum Cup On Dollar Dog Wednesdays - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.