Force Fall to Tri-City
A third period rally fell short and Tri-City managed to hold off Fargo to come away with a 5-2 win tonight in Kearney, NE.
The Storm got on the board first with a goal 4:13 into period one. Rhett Pitlick added another goal for Tri-City late in the first on a 3v2 rush, giving the Storm a 2-0 lead to close out the 1st period.
Period two saw big opportunities on both sides of the net, but big stops from Boynton and Scott kept the scoring down to just one goal. At 6:32 in the second Tri-City extended their lead to 3-0 thanks to a goal from defenseman Guillaume Richard.
The third period saw the most action of the night, kicking off with a shorthanded goal from Force forward Kyle Smolen. Tyler Rollwagen created the opportunity after stealing the puck and centering it up for Smolen, cutting the Storm lead down to 3-1. However, three Fargo penalties in a row gave Tri-City three powerplay opportunities within the opening 10 minutes of the period. The third time was the charm as they finally managed to capitalize on their man advantage, taking back their 3 goal lead with 13:18 left to play.
With two minutes remaining in the game, the Force tacked on another goal, this time with a 6v3 man advantage. Ryan Siedem ripped in a shot from the slot that was redirected by Cody Monds, bringing the score to 4-2. With a little under a minute remaining Tri-City sent the puck the length of the ice into an empty Fargo net, securing themselves a 5-2 win.
The Force are back in action again tomorrow for an afternoon game in Lincoln vs. the Stars. Puck drop is at 3:05 PM!
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2021
- Storm Complete Sweep on Concrete Cares Weekend - Tri-City Storm
- Oliver David Notches Win #100 as Saints Rout Team USA - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lincoln's Rally Comes up Short against Fargo - Lincoln Stars
- Special Teams the Difference as Musketeers Fall at Tri City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Host Musketeers for Final Game of Concrete Cares Weekend - Tri-City Storm
- Fighting Wiener Dogs Down Lancers 8-1 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Win Season Series against Force in 5-2 Victory - Tri-City Storm
- Force Fall to Tri-City - Fargo Force
- Offensive Explosion Powers Musketeers Past Lincoln - Sioux City Musketeers
- Stars Lose 8-2 to Musketeers - Lincoln Stars
- Strong Effort from Purcell Not Enough, Phantoms Fall in Shootout - Youngstown Phantoms
- Slow Start Dooms Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.