Flying Aces Defeated by Lumberjacks, 5 to 2
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces lost, 5 to 2, to the Muskegon Lumberjacks tonight.
The Flying Aces had a chance shorthanded early in the first period, but the shot trickled wide of the net after passing the goaltender.
Muskegon struck first and scored three first period goals. The first came from Nolan Sullivan midway through the period when he out-waited the goaltender and scored top-shelf. Andrej Kollar scored shorthanded for the Lumberjacks with a quick wrist shot from the right circle after he broke out on a two-on-one after a long rebound from an Aces shot. The third goal came from Colby Bukes after he maneuvered into the slot and scored. Bukes was ejected later in the period for a game misconduct due to head contact.
Stephen Halliday (Toronto, Ont.) scored to get the Flying Aces on the board midway through the second. Tyler Gratton (Pottstown, Penn.) picked up an errant pass from a Muskegon player and threaded the puck through two more Lumberjacks to Halliday at the far blue line. Halliday's shot went off the top-left corner of the post, back off the goaltender, and into the back of the net to make it a two-goal game.
Less than a minute into the third, Muskegon scored their fourth of the night when Oliver MacDonald went on a breakaway and scored five-hole.
Fifty seconds later, Chad Hillebrand (Skokie, Ill.) won a board battle from a dumped-in puck and passed to Connor Mayer (Champlin, Minn.) in the low slot. Mayer buried the puck into the back of the net.
Muskegon finished the game with an empty net goal for a final score of 5 to 2.
Ryan Snowden (Kennett Square, Penn.) stopped 22 of 23 in relief.
The Flying Aces take on the Fighting Saints tomorrow, Sunday, March 31st in Dubuque at 3:05 p.m. Next weekend, Central Illinois travels to Lincoln for a two-game series against the Stars on Friday, April 5th, and Saturday, April 6th. Their final home game of the season will be Saturday, April 13th against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders at 7:07 p.m.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2019
- Storm Slows Down Sioux City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Set Team Record for Regular Season Wins in 5-2 Defeat of Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Muskegon Closes in on Clinching East Top Seed with 5-2 Win - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Power Play Percentage Astronomical - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Edges Chicago in Barn Burner, 7-5 - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Stomp RoughRiders 5-0 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Flying Aces Defeated by Lumberjacks, 5 to 2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Third Period Gets Away from Stars as They Fall 6-0 to Fargo - Lincoln Stars
- Durny Helps Des Moines Down Dubuque, 6-0 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gameday Preview: Storm Seek Team Wins Record Tonight in Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Stars vs. Force - Lincoln Stars
- Weekend Primer: Des Moines and Central Illinois Come to Dubuque - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Waterloo Black Hawks Sign Matthew Argentina to Tender - USHL
- Hawks Add Argentina for 2019/20 - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.