Waterloo Black Hawks Sign Matthew Argentina to Tender
March 30, 2019 - United States Hockey League (USHL) News Release
The Waterloo Black Hawks announced the signing of forward Matthew Argentina to a tender agreement for the 2019-20 season. Argentina is a native of Philadelphia, PA and is committed to play college hockey at the University of Notre Dame.
Now in its eighth year, the USHL tender process allows teams to sign up to two 2003 birth year players prior to the 2019 USHL Phase I Draft, which takes place on May 6.
Argentina has spent the last two seasons with the Mercer Chiefs (AYHL) U16 team, recording 24 points (8G, 16A) last season before tallying 22 points (11G, 11A) in 19 games this year to lead his team to the 2019 AYHL Championship.
"Matt is a tremendous young player and a great character kid," said Black Hawks Head Coach and General Manager P.K. O'Handley. "We are tremendously excited to welcome Matt to the Black Hawks; he is a great addition to our organization."
Argentina helped lead the Chiefs to the Atlantic Youth Hockey League's National U-16 playoff title and a 17-3-1-1 (w-l-t-otl) regular season record. He averaged more than a point per game during the AYHL regular season with 11 goals and 11 assists in 19 appearances. The Philadelphia native also played prep school hockey during the winter while attending classes at The Hun School of Princeton.
Black Hawks Associate Head Coach and Associate General Manager Shane Fukushima gave an enthusiastic scouting report on the soon-to-be Waterloo skater.
"Matt is a skilled two-way forward who plays with tempo and tenacity that will fit our style of play in Waterloo."
Argentina is the first tender signing for Waterloo this season and the first tender signing in the USHL this season. The signing of Argentina will replace the Black Hawks' first round draft choice in the 2019 USHL Phase I Draft.
If Waterloo tenders a second player, that signing would take the place of a second-round selection in the 2019 USHL Phase I Draft. The final day for USHL teams to sign a tender is Saturday, May 4, 2019. Each tendered player will be on their respective team's roster the next season and play at least 55% of the team's regular season games.
Argentina is the fourth player to be tendered by Waterloo since the start of the USHL tender process, joining University of Minnesota forward Sam Rossini (2014) University of Minnesota Duluth defenseman and Los Angeles Kings prospect Mikey Anderson (2015) and current Waterloo forward Wyatt Schingoethe (2018).
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2019
- Storm Slows Down Sioux City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Storm Set Team Record for Regular Season Wins in 5-2 Defeat of Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Muskegon Closes in on Clinching East Top Seed with 5-2 Win - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Power Play Percentage Astronomical - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Waterloo Edges Chicago in Barn Burner, 7-5 - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Stomp RoughRiders 5-0 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Flying Aces Defeated by Lumberjacks, 5 to 2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Third Period Gets Away from Stars as They Fall 6-0 to Fargo - Lincoln Stars
- Durny Helps Des Moines Down Dubuque, 6-0 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gameday Preview: Storm Seek Team Wins Record Tonight in Sioux City - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Stars vs. Force - Lincoln Stars
- Weekend Primer: Des Moines and Central Illinois Come to Dubuque - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Waterloo Black Hawks Sign Matthew Argentina to Tender - USHL
- Hawks Add Argentina for 2019/20 - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.