Florida Takes Game Three Convincingly 6-2
ESTERO, FL - The Florida Everblades jumped on top of Elmira early and skated to a convincing 6-2 win in First Arena in Elmira on Friday night. The victory puts Florida one victory away from advancing to the second round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. The Everblades will have that chance on Saturday night as the best-of-five series resumes in Elmira for game four at 7:35 p.m.
The Florida Everblades struck first for the third straight game in this series. With an offensive zone faceoff, Milan Gajic won the faceoff back to Dominic Osman who tipped it to the right point to Mitch McColm. McColm fired the puck through traffic that was stopped by goaltender Chris Holt's right pad but Gajic fought for the rebound and backhanded the puck by Holt for a 1-0 Florida lead. The Everblades made it 2-0 with just a minute left in the period. Brad Zanon scored his first goal of the post season throwing a shot from the left point off a pass from Shea Guthrie and Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll. Chris Beckford-Tseu stopped nine Elmira shots in the first period, two in spectacular style. The Everblades registered nine shots on net in the frame
Each team added a marker in the second period. Florida extended their lead to three on a great rush after several Beckford-Tseu saves on the other end. Milan Gajic found Matthew Pistilli in the low slot and he fired a wrist shot past Chris Holt 1:41 into the middle period. Elmira's Derick Martin found the back of the net for the first time in the contest for the Jackals. The second period ended the way it started with the Everblades leading by two.
Florida outscored Elmira 3-1 in the third period and improved their record to 2-0 when leading after the second period. Dating back to the regular season, Florida is 30-0-2-0 when leading after two periods of play. Scott Hotham scored on the power play, 1:41 into the third to lift the Blades lead to 4-1. Milan Gajic added his second goal of the game and Brandon Buck tallied an empty-net goal, while Elmira scored on a Chaz Johnson tally, his first of the post season. The victory put the Everblades on the brink of advancing to the American Conference semifinals with one more win to end the series.
The Florida Everblades and Elmira Jackals play game four of the American Conference quarterfinals on Saturday at First Arena in Elmira. With a win, Florida would win the series and advance on two the second round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Florida and Elmira are set to faceoff at 7:35 p.m. with the Shoeless Joe's Sports Café pregame show to come your way at 7:10 p.m. If a game five is necessary, it will be played on Sunday, April 11 at First Arena at 4:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2010
- Munce Solid As Checkers Down Walleye, 3-1, Inch Closer To Conference Semifinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Royals Take Game Three Over K-Wings, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Florida Takes Game Three Convincingly 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Fall in Overtime Heartbreaker to Cyclones - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heidinger's OT Goal Gives Cyclones 1-0 Win at SC - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals suffer 6-2 loss - Elmira Jackals
- Duffy Assigned Osman Activated and Olson and Baker Placed on Reserve List - Florida Everblades
- Reading Wins Game Three and Now Leads Series Two Games to One - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Greg Scott Recalled To Marlies - Reading Royals
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder Vs. Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Noreau Becomes 441st ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Florida At Elmira, Game 3 - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Playoff Hockey Saturday, Sunday - Utah Grizzlies
- Elmira's Tyler Donati Named CCM U+ ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Tyler Donati Named MVP Of ECHL - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Five Nailers Recalled To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Two for Tonge: 'Blades Top Gladiators for Third Straight Win
- Sunny Side: 'Blades Topple Solar Bears for Fifth Straight Win in Series
- Fierce Finish:Five Unanswered Goals Push 'Blades Past Solar Bears
- 'Blades Wrap up Homestand with Rivalry Tilt against Orlando
- This Week: Homestand Wraps up Wednesday as Part of 4-Game Week