Jackals suffer 6-2 loss
The Elmira Jackals fell at First Arena in Elmira, N.Y. on Friday night in Game 3 of their best-of-five American Conference Quarterfinal series by a score of 6-2 to the Florida Everblades.
The Everblades, like they did in their Game 1 win on Tuesday, led throughout almost the entire game. They established the lead at 2:26 of the first period when Milan Gajic backhanded a puck past Chris Holt off of a Mitch McColm shot to give the Everblades the 1-0 advantage.
Brad Zanon's shot from the blue line at 18:59 of the first period was redirected by a Jackal past Holt to give Florida a 2-0 lead entering the first intermission.
Gajic found Matthew Pistilli in the slot at 1:41 of the second period and Pistilli wristed the puck past Holt to up Florida's lead to 3-0.
Derick Martin brought the Jackals to within two at 15:41, one-timing a puck from the offensive zone's perimeter past Chris Beckford-Tseu to make the score 3-1.
The Everblades answered that goal with one of their own at the game's turning point, when Scott Hotham's shot went through the net and was ruled a goal at 48 seconds to reclaim the Everblades' three-goal lead. The goal was the first on the power play for the Everblades in the series.
Chaz Johnson responded at 9:46, taking a feed from Brendan Connolly and deking Beckford-Tseu backhand-forehand and beating him glove side to make it 4-2.
The nicest goal of the evening, however, was left for Gajic, who cut into the zone, went through a Jackals defenseman and beat Holt glove side to up the lead to 5-2.
Brandon Buck added an empty-net goal at 15:21, and the Everblades rolled to the 6-2 win.
Holt made 18 saves on 23 shots to fall to 1-2 in the playoffs. Beckford-Tseu made 27 saves on 29 shots to improve to 2-1.
The Jackals host the Everblades in Game 4 at First Arena on Saturday night at 7:35 p.m. The First Arena Box Office opens Saturday morning at 10 a.m. Fans can also purchase tickets by calling (607) 734-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2010
- Munce Solid As Checkers Down Walleye, 3-1, Inch Closer To Conference Semifinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Royals Take Game Three Over K-Wings, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Florida Takes Game Three Convincingly 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Fall in Overtime Heartbreaker to Cyclones - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heidinger's OT Goal Gives Cyclones 1-0 Win at SC - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals suffer 6-2 loss - Elmira Jackals
- Duffy Assigned Osman Activated and Olson and Baker Placed on Reserve List - Florida Everblades
- Reading Wins Game Three and Now Leads Series Two Games to One - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Greg Scott Recalled To Marlies - Reading Royals
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder Vs. Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Noreau Becomes 441st ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Florida At Elmira, Game 3 - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Playoff Hockey Saturday, Sunday - Utah Grizzlies
- Elmira's Tyler Donati Named CCM U+ ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Tyler Donati Named MVP Of ECHL - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Five Nailers Recalled To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.