Tyler Donati Named MVP Of ECHL
Capping a season in which he led the league in scoring, shattered team records, and made history, Elmira Jackals winger Tyler Donati was named the CCM U+ ECHL Most Valuable Player for 2009-2010 on Friday.
The CCM U+ Most Valuable Player award is presented annually to the player selected to be the most valuable to his team as voted by the coaches of each ECHL team.
Donati, the first Jackal to win the award, led the ECHL with 114 points and 76 assists in 2009-2010. He set a new Jackals high for points in one season, breaking Randy Murphy's record from 2002-2003 of 93 points, when he scored his 94th point, a game-tying goal in the third period, on Mar. 13 against Cincinnati. Donati's 76 assists are the most ever by a Jackal in one season.
The Oakville, Ontario native also led the ECHL with 35 power-play assists and 44 power-play points.
Tyler and Justin Donati became the first brothers in professional hockey history to each score 100 points on the same team in the same season when Justin had an assist on Apr. 2 against Trenton.
The older of the twin brothers, Tyler was named to the All-ECHL 1st Team after winning the league's scoring title with the most points in a single season since Wheeling's Darren Schwartz had 114 points in 1992-1993. Tyler also was named the Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month for Febraury and was the Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week twice this season.
Coming off a crucial 5-2 victory on the road on Wednesday to even their best-of-five American Conference Quarterfinal series 1-1, the Jackals will host the Florida Everblades at First Arena for Game 3 on Friday at 7:35 p.m. and Game 4 on Saturday at 7:35 p.m. Game 5 will be played on Sunday at 4:05 p.m, if necessary.
Tickets for this weekend's games are available at the First Arena Box Office, by calling (607) 734-PUCK (7825), or by logging onto Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2010
- Munce Solid As Checkers Down Walleye, 3-1, Inch Closer To Conference Semifinals - Charlotte Checkers
- Royals Take Game Three Over K-Wings, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Florida Takes Game Three Convincingly 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Fall in Overtime Heartbreaker to Cyclones - South Carolina Stingrays
- Heidinger's OT Goal Gives Cyclones 1-0 Win at SC - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals suffer 6-2 loss - Elmira Jackals
- Duffy Assigned Osman Activated and Olson and Baker Placed on Reserve List - Florida Everblades
- Reading Wins Game Three and Now Leads Series Two Games to One - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Greg Scott Recalled To Marlies - Reading Royals
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder Vs. Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Noreau Becomes 441st ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Florida At Elmira, Game 3 - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Host Playoff Hockey Saturday, Sunday - Utah Grizzlies
- Elmira's Tyler Donati Named CCM U+ ECHL Most Valuable Player - ECHL
- Tyler Donati Named MVP Of ECHL - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Five Nailers Recalled To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.