Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts carried a lead through most of Friday night's game but the Florence Freedom scored in each of the last four innings to defeat the Bolts 8-5 in the penultimate game of the season at Ozinga Field.
Florence (57-38) scored a first-inning run on a sacrifice fly but the ThunderBolts (41-54) roared back with three runs in the second. Zach Rheams hit an RBI double, Taisei Fukuhara extended his hit streak to 13 with an RBI single and Zach Taylor brought home the third run when he reached on an error.
Kenny Mathews allowed only two hits through the first five innings before the Freedom scored two in the sixth to tie the game. Kevin Whatley tripled to set up RBI singles for Luis Pintor and Caleb Lopes.
Again, the Bolts responded quickly. In the bottom of the inning, Rheams walked and Fukuhara singled before they got runs on a passed ball and a Michael Mateja sacrifice fly.
The Freedom chipped away, scoring single runs in the seventh and eight to tie it at five. Then, after the Bolts left the bases loaded in the bottom of the eighth, Florence won the game with three runs in the ninth.
Pintor's sacrifice fly was the game-winner but Connor Crane and Isaac Benard added RBI singles to put the game away.
Mathews struck out nine with no walks and allowed just two earned runs in six innings but did not take a decision. Ryan Mordecai (3-3) retired all four batters he faced for the win and Colby Blueberg (4-2) pitched the ninth for the Bolts and took the loss.
The season wraps up with the finale against Florence on Saturday night. The ThunderBolts have not yet named a starting pitcher. Chris Amend (0-0, 7.56) starts for Florence. The game will be followed by the SUPER MEGA Fireworks Spectacular. First pitch from Ozinga Field is scheduled for 6:05. The radio broadcast can be heard on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Florence Rallies to Fifth Straight Win - Florence Y'alls
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - River City Rascals
- Miners Dealt Home Loss by Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Fall to Crushers in Game One 7-6 - Joliet Slammers
- Nieporte Lifts Boomers to Series Opening Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Clinch Postseason Berth with Win against Grizzlies - Evansville Otters
- Sweeping Freedom Clinch Postseason Berth - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Win First Road Series in Marion Since 2013 - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- Frontier League Named Partner of Major League Baseball
- Windy City ThunderBolts Will Not Have Baseball in 2020 as Frontier League Suspends Entire Championship Season
- ThunderBolts Close Season with Blowout Win
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts
- Big Ninth Inning Carries ThunderBolts over Schaumburg