Rascals Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. - The River City Rascals suffered a 4-3 loss to the Schaumburg Boomers on Friday night, but still clinched a playoff berth by virtue of the Southern Illinois Miners loss to the Lake Erie Crushers. LJ Kalawaia drove in all three Rascals runs in the loss.
Quincy Nieporte hit a grand slam in the third inning to put the Boomers in front. Kalawaia delivered an RBI single in the fourth to cut into the lead, and added a two-run single in the eighth to trim the deficit to just one, but the Rascals' rally fell short.
Rascals starter Keenan Bartlett (2-3) suffered the loss, allowing four runs in four innings. Connor Reed (5-8) earned the win for the Boomers, going three scoreless innings. Boomers closer Connor Eller earned his 21st save of the season.
The Rascals (53-41) face the Boomers (46-48) in Game 2 of the series tomorrow night, with first pitch set for 6:00 p.m. CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Florence Rallies to Fifth Straight Win - Florence Y'alls
- Florence Comes from Behind to Beat ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Clinch Playoff Berth Despite Loss - River City Rascals
- Miners Dealt Home Loss by Evansville - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Fall to Crushers in Game One 7-6 - Joliet Slammers
- Nieporte Lifts Boomers to Series Opening Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Clinch Postseason Berth with Win against Grizzlies - Evansville Otters
- Sweeping Freedom Clinch Postseason Berth - Florence Y'alls
- Crushers Win First Road Series in Marion Since 2013 - Lake Erie Crushers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.