Flames Announce Steve Begin's Retirement
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Flames announced today the retirement of Steve BÃ©gin from the National Hockey League.
"Steve had a career marked with great diligence and effort," said Flames President of Hockey Operations Brian Burke. "On behalf of the Calgary Flames Organization and ownership group, I congratulate him on his 15 year NHL career and wish him success in his future endeavors."
BÃ©gin's career concludes after playing 524 career NHL games, 159 of those games with the Calgary Flames. The 35 year old native of Trois Rivieres, Quebec was in his second tour of duty with Calgary after suiting up for the Flames from 1997-2003 playing in a total of 159 games and scoring 15 goals, seven assists for 22 points and 212 penalty minutes. He rejoined the Flames as free agent for the 2012-13 campaign after taking the prior season off due to a hip injury.
Following his return in the truncated 2012-13 season, Begin was nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy by the Calgary Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association (PHWA) which goes to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. He once again attempted to continue his career with the Flames organization this season but decided on retirement after a reoccurrence of the hip injury during training camp.
Over the course of 15 NHL seasons, Begin also played with Montreal, Dallas, Boston and Nashville recording 56 goals, 52 assists for 108 points while accumulating 561 penalty minutes. Begin was originally drafted by the Calgary in the 2nd round with the 40th overall pick in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft. He was a member of the Flames American Hockey League team in Saint John, NB who captured the 2001 Calder Cup. Begin was named the playoffs MVP, receiving the Jack Butterfield Trophy.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2014
- Lightning Reassign Andrej Sustr to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Flames Announce Steve Begin's Retirement - Abbotsford Heat
- Kennedy and Severyn Join Comets - Utica Comets
- Comets Corner: the Devils Return - Utica Comets
- $5 Kids Tickets Monday - Rockford IceHogs
- Dalton Prout Recalled, Broc Little Released - Springfield Falcons
- Detroit Recalls Emmerton - Grand Rapids Griffins
- The Great Skate Winterfest Returns this Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Reassigns Riku Helenius from Syracuse to Florida - Syracuse Crunch
- LeNeveu Thrilled to be Returning to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Kings Recall Vey; Monarchs Recall Niederberger - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Recall Kattelus - Chicago Wolves
- Heat Announce Transition to Ticketmaster - Abbotsford Heat
- Jets Recall Carl Klingberg from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Rampage Recall Defenseman Josh McFadden - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Come Back to Beat IceHogs in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Anaheim Recalls Goaltender Andersen from Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Lead Midwest by 12 After 3-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.