Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- RHP Nick MacDonald transferred to short-season A Brooklyn
Columbia Fireflies (28-41, 52-83) @ Augusta GreenJackets (40-29, 76-61)
RHP Daison Acosta (1-4, 3.42) vs. RHP Trenton Toplikar (5-2, 3.02)
Mon., September 2, 2019 - SRP Park (North Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 2:05 p.m. - Game 136
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia played in one of the more compelling games of the season on Sunday. The Fireflies erased a two-run deficit but ultimately fell behind again after Augusta scored an eighth-inning run. The GreenJackets downed Columbia, 3-2, and clinched a playoff berth in the process. Nick Conti smashed a clutch home run in the fifth inning to knot the score at 2-2. Augusta punched back in the eighth with an Andres Angulo triple. He scored a few moments later on Mikey Edie's single to take the lead for good. Shervyen Newton and Guillermo Granadillo each notched a pair of hits and Alec Kisena was brilliant at times on the mound. After allowing a first-inning home run, Kisena didn't allow a hit the rest of the way and pitched into the sixth.
ONE LEFT: The Fireflies close out their 2019 season on Labor Day at SRP Park. Columbia is 0-3 in season finales. So what's the motivation today? Well, with a win, the Fireflies will avoid tying their worst half-season record (28-42 - 2017, 2nd half).
FINISHING STRONG: Columbia's leadoff hitter, Nick Conti, has performed very well at the plate and in the field over the last week. Conti is on a six-game hitting streak and helped turn three double plays in Sunday's game.
THE ALL-STAR: There's just one game left for Columbia's lone All-Star in 2019, Ronny Mauricio. The top-rated Mets prospect came to the Palmetto State with high expectations and he just about exceeded all of them. Mauricio set the Fireflies single-season hits record (125 and counting) and is going to finish the year with the highest batting average for a Firefly who played in more than 100 games. At just 18 years old, Mauricio showed off above average fielding prowess, quickness and a deft glove at short.
THESE GUYS MADE THEIR MARK: Another Mets prospect, Mark Vientos, is going to finish with one of the highest RBI totals in franchise history (62 and counting) and maybe, just maybe, can tie the single-season home run mark (13) with one more blast on Monday. Reliever Allan Winans will also finish with the second-most saves in club history, too. Winans has gone 11-for-13 in save chances.
DEVELOP AND ADVANCE: That really is the ultimate goal for these Fireflies players and a total of 13 earned promotions at points during the 2019 season. Congratulations to these 13 on advancing: Wagner Lagrange, Jose Medina, Hansel Moreno, Colin Holderman, Tylor Megill, Andrew Mitchell, Dedniel Nunez, Conner O'Neil, Darwin Ramos, Luc Rennie, Thomas Szapucki, Simeon Woods-Richardson, Ezequiel Zabaleta. Megill and Rennie each earned promotions to double-A Binghamton in 2019.
NEXT GAME: Thursday, April 9, 2020 vs. Augusta 7:05 ET, Segra Park
THANK YOU, FANS, FOR A WONDERFUL 2019 SEASON!
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 2, 2019
- 19-Year Run as Intimidators Comes to An End on Labor Day in Maryland - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Rally for 90th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets End Regular Season with Six-Game Win Streak - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Drop Final Game 10-5 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Then Hurls Five No-Hit Innings in Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Roll to Win in Season Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Win Second-Half Division Title - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Zangari's Three-Hit Day Leads Intimidators to 5-2 Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt