Crawdads Win Second-Half Division Title
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads wrapped up the regular season with a 3-1 win over the Lexington Legends. The win has big implications as it secured the 'Dads the second-half Northern Division title and the best winning percentage in franchise history at .6418.
The Crawdads secured at least the wild card on Thursday night but today's victory gives them the second half division title, edging out the Delmarva Shorebirds.
Cole Winn started the game for the 'Dads, tossing a scoreless inning with a strikeout. Sergio Pacheco came into the game in second inning, making his Hickory debut.
The Crawdads took the lead in the bottom of the second with a pair runs. Pedro Gonzalez drew a walk and Kole Enright crushed his tenth homerun of the season to put the 'Dads ahead 2-0.
The Legends scored an unearned run off Pacheco in the seventh inning. Pacheco finished his afternoon after six innings, allowing just two hits and striking out six batters.
The 'Dads made it a 3-1 game in the bottom of the eighth. Jonathan Ornelas singled and advanced to third on a double by Ryan Anderson. Tyreque Reed drove in Ornelas with a single to right.
The Crawdads will kick off the playoffs on Wednesday night at the Frans against the Delmarva Shorebirds in a best of three series to determine the Northern Division Champion. Wednesday will feature a tee shirt giveaway to the first 500 fans, $2 craft pints, and Kids Win Wednesday where all kids 12 and under can get a free ticket, meal voucher and voucher for the speed pitch, carousel, and bounce house. Games 2 and 3 of the series will take place on Friday and Saturday on the road in Delmarva.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 2, 2019
- 19-Year Run as Intimidators Comes to An End on Labor Day in Maryland - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Rally for 90th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets End Regular Season with Six-Game Win Streak - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Drop Final Game 10-5 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Then Hurls Five No-Hit Innings in Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Roll to Win in Season Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Win Second-Half Division Title - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Zangari's Three-Hit Day Leads Intimidators to 5-2 Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.