BlueClaws Roll to Win in Season Finale
HAGERSTOWN, MD - Cole Stobbe and Ben Pelletier homered as the BlueClaws topped Hagerstown 10-5 to win the season finale on Monday.
With the win, the BlueClaws finish the season at 29-39/58-80. They took the season series from the Suns (35-35/65-76) by a 13-12 margin.
Cole Stobbe opened things up with a home run on the first pitch of the game. It was his 15th of the season and second straight game with a home run. After, Hagerstown tied it at one on a first inning SAC fly from Israel Pineda, the BlueClaws re-took the lead on a home run by Ben Pelletier. It was his 13th of the season.
The BlueClaws then exploded for six runs in the fourth to blow the game open. Carlos De La Cruzscored on a passed ball. Then later in the inning, Juan Aparicio hit a two-run single, followed by an RBI single by Cole Stobbe to chase starter Niomar Gomez. Alex Troop came on and allowed a two-run double to Malvin Matos to complete the six-run inning which matched Lakewood's biggest of the season.
Gomez (0-1) was charged with eight runs over 3.2 innings in his South Atlantic League debut.
BlueClaws starter Manuel Silva went four innings and allowed just one run.
Josh Hendrickson took over in the fifth and retired the first six he faced. The Suns, however, broke through with four unearned runs off Hendrickson in the seventh. Three scored on Armond Upshaw's second home run of the season.
Lakewood added two more runs in the eighth including one on a Juan Aparicio RBI double, his third hit of the game.
Stobbe and Pelletier also had two hits apiece in the win.
The BlueClaws open the 2020 season on April 9th in Greensboro with the home opener set for April 16th at FirstEnergy Park, the 20th Opening Night in BlueClaws history.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 2, 2019
- 19-Year Run as Intimidators Comes to An End on Labor Day in Maryland - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Shorebirds Rally for 90th Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jackets End Regular Season with Six-Game Win Streak - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Drop Final Game 10-5 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Then Hurls Five No-Hit Innings in Two-Hit Shutout - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Roll to Win in Season Finale - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Crawdads Win Second-Half Division Title - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Zangari's Three-Hit Day Leads Intimidators to 5-2 Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.