Fireflies Game Notes: September 3 at Augusta (Game 135)
Columbia Fireflies (30-36, 64-69) @ Augusta GreenJackets (29-39, 66-70)
RHP Zac Grotz (3-6, 4.68) vs. Norwith Gudino (3-2, 3.55)
Mon., Sept. 3, 2018 - SRP Park (No. Augusta, SC) - First Pitch 2:05 p.m. - Games 135
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
LAST TIME OUT: The Fireflies blanked the GreenJackets 1-0 at SRP Park on Sunday evening. Dionis Paulino's solo home run was the difference in the game. Tony Dibrell and Aaron Ford were unstoppable on the mound. Dibrell punched out nine batters across six frames. Ford followed that up with eight strikeouts in just three innings.
ONE FINAL TIME: The Fireflies play their final game of the season today at SRP Park. Columbia finished its home schedule on Thursday night. The 2018 season at Spirit Communications Park was filled with great fun and breath-taking excitement. Take a look back at the best moments.
- Seven walk-off wins (five in May)
- First GS by a Firefly at Spirit Communications Park (Gio Alfonso: May 5)
- Six Fireflies made SAL All-Star Game
*1B Jeremy Vasquez, RHP Joe Cavallaro, RHP Stephen Villines, RHP Trey Cobb, LHP David Peterson, C Scott Manea*
LOOK AT THIS: Aaron Ford and Yeizo Campos have each put together a stellar relief appearance at SRP this season.
- Campos (July 27 @ Augusta): 4.2 IP, 0 ER, 9 K
*9 strikeouts is the most by a Columbia reliever this season*
- Ford (September 2 @ Augusta): 3.0 IP, 0 R, 8 K
PAULINO'S PARK: Dionis Paulino is 13-for-35 (.371 BA) at SRP Park this season. Three of his six homers this season have occurred here.
BACK, BACK, BACK...GONE!: Columbia blasted nine homers during its eight-game homestand (August 23-30). As a team, the Fireflies have drilled 88 homers in 2018, a new single-season team record. The Fireflies have 29 in August (28 games).
RECORDS ON RECORD ON RECORDS: Tony Dibrell finished the 2018 campaign with 147 strikeouts in 131.0 innings this year. That's the new single-season Fireflies record after the righty passed Joe Shaw (134 in 2016) on August 28. That's not all. Edgardo Fermin's triple on the 28th was his seventh of the year, tying him with Kevin Kaczmarski (2016) for the most in a single season. On August 30th, Matt Winaker smashed his 13th home run of the year, tying him for single-season franchise record:
1. Matt Winaker (2018), Dash Winningham & Brandon Brosher (2017) - 13
2. Dash Winningham (2016) - 12
3. Scott Manea (2018) - 12
4. Quinn Brodey (2018) - 10
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Drive End 2018 Season on Winning Note - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Win Labor Day Marathon - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Close Book on Regular Season with Sights Now Set on Playoffs - Lexington Legends
- Kannapolis Reaches SAL Playoffs with Win over Hagerstown - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power Falls in Finale, Misses out on Postseason - West Virginia Power
- Garcia's Two Homers, Including Game-Winner, End RiverDogs Season on High Note - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets End Season on High Note - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grotz Records Career-High 12 Strikeouts in Season Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Fall 5-4 to Greensboro in Season Finale - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 3 at Augusta (Game 135) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns, Nationals Extend Player Development Contract Through 2020 - Hagerstown Suns
- Southern Eagle Distributing Honored as Recipient of T. Ashton Phillips Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Reyes, Tarpley Make MLB Debuts Sunday - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (September 3) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.