'Dads Fall 5-4 to Greensboro in Season Finale
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads closed out their 2018 season today against the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The 'Dads fell today 5-4 but finished the year with a winning record, going 70-68. The team had a strong second half, going 40-30 and stayed in playoff contention until the final weekend of the season.
The Grasshoppers got off to an early lead with a run off Crawdads starting pitcher Hans Crouse. Crouse pitched just an inning today after tossing two innings in a start on Saturday. In today's game, he allowed a run on two hits but recorded all three of his outs via strikeout.
Reid Anderson took over in relief in the second inning. He went three innings, giving up a pair of runs. He struck out five batters. Anderson finished his season with a 3.22 ERA, which is the ninth best mark in the South Atlantic League.
The Crawdads got a run back in the home half of the fourth inning to cut the score to 3-1. Justin Jacobs doubled to right and advanced to third on a groundball by Ryan Dorow. Tyreque Reed drove in Jacobs with a ground out to the third baseman.
The 'Dads rallied to take a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the seventh. Dorow walked and Reed singled to put two runners on. Sam Huff hit into a force out at third that took Dorow off the bases. Yohel Pozo doubled to left to bring Reed and Huff in to score. Preston Scott hit a single to short that kept Pozo at second. Enright put the 'Dads ahead with a base hit that brought Pozo in from second.
The Grasshoppers responded with a pair of runs in the top of the eighth to take back the lead.
The Crawdads got two runners on in the ninth but were unable to bring them in.
Ticket books are already on sale for the 2019 and for a limited time you can get five bonus vouchers for a total of fifteen vouchers for $70. Claw Club and Silver Slugger memberships are also on sale for next season.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Drive End 2018 Season on Winning Note - Greenville Drive
- 'Birds Win Labor Day Marathon - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Close Book on Regular Season with Sights Now Set on Playoffs - Lexington Legends
- Kannapolis Reaches SAL Playoffs with Win over Hagerstown - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Power Falls in Finale, Misses out on Postseason - West Virginia Power
- Garcia's Two Homers, Including Game-Winner, End RiverDogs Season on High Note - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets End Season on High Note - Augusta GreenJackets
- Grotz Records Career-High 12 Strikeouts in Season Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Dads Fall 5-4 to Greensboro in Season Finale - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: September 3 at Augusta (Game 135) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns, Nationals Extend Player Development Contract Through 2020 - Hagerstown Suns
- Southern Eagle Distributing Honored as Recipient of T. Ashton Phillips Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Reyes, Tarpley Make MLB Debuts Sunday - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (September 3) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.