Fireflies Game Notes: July 20 at Greenville (Game 96)
Columbia Fireflies (13-16, 37-58) @ Greenville Drive (14-15, 46-53)
RHP Daison Acosta (1-1, 2.70) vs. RHP Chase Shugart (5-1, 1.73)
Sat., July 20, 2019 - Fluor Field (Greenville, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 96
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Jose Medina appears to be quite comfortable at Fluor Field in Greenville this weekend. Columbia's outfielder had not hit a homer all season leading up to Thursday's series opener. Medina has now crushed solo home runs in back-to-back games, most recently in the ninth inning on Friday night. The Fireflies dropped the contest, though, to Greenville, 9-4. Medina is 6-for-15 (.400) during the road trip with a pair of 2Bs and HRs.
GOING DEEP: The Fireflies have homered in four straight games and five of the last six. In fact, Columbia has totaled seven in those six games:
FIREFLIES HOMERS THIS WEEK
July 19 @ Greenville - Jose Medina
July 18 @ Greenville - Jose Medina
July 17 @ West Virginia - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
July 16 @ West Virginia - Shervyen Newton
July 14 vs. Charleston - Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton
HITS ON HITS ON HITS: Ronny Mauricio collected two more hits on Friday in Greenville, including a triple. Mauricio is fifth in the South Atlantic League with 96 hits. The Mets prospect is on pace for 137 hits this season with Columbia, which would smash the single-season record of 111 set by J.C. Rodriguez in 2016.
HELLO AND GOODBYE: The weekend series against Greenville is the only trip to Fluor Field in 2019 for Columbia. Fluor Field is just a 106-mile drive from Segra Park, making it the second-shortest trip in the league for the Fireflies (SRP Park in No. Augusta, SC, is just 74 miles from Segra Park).
THEY'RE ON THE MOVE: One former Firefly earned a deserved promotion this week. Tony Dibrell, who struck out a franchise-record 147 batters during the 2018 season, was promoted from advanced-A St. Lucie to double-A Binghamton. The former Kennesaw State Owl had posted an 8-4 record and 2.39 ERA over 17 appearances with St. Lucie. Dibrell proved to be one of the most consistent starters for Columbia last season.
THE OTHER GUYS: The Drive have been a Red Sox affiliate since the franchise's inception in 2005. The following Boston prospects are currently on Greenville's roster:
1. INF, Tristian Casas 20. RHP, Alex Scherff
14. INF, Branden Howlett 23. RHP, Brayan Bello
Casas was the Red Sox first round draft choice (26th overall) in 2018 and signed for approximately $2.5 million.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Drive Fall to Columbia on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Furious 'Birds Rally Falls Short at WV - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Medina and Mauricio Power Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Hand Braves another Walk-Off Loss - Rome Braves
- Early Offense Carries Power to 12-10 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Excitement Continues as Vavra Gives T's Seventh Walk-Off Win - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win Series, Collect 5th Consecutive Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Intimidators Score Twice in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Another Early Barrage Holds up as Charleston Takes Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 20 at Greenville (Game 96) - Columbia Fireflies
- Righty Daniel Bies Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.