Intimidators Score Twice in 8th to Top Claws 4-2
KANNAPOLIS, NC - Kannapolis scored two in the bottom of the eighth inning, taking the lead on an RBI double by Romy Gonzalez, in topping the BlueClaws 4-2 on Saturday night at Intimidators Stadium.
The BlueClaws (10-18/39-59) have dropped two of the first three in this series with Kannapolis (15-15/43-55).
Kannapolis took the lead in the bottom of the eighth on an RBI double by Romy Gonzlalez to bring home Johan Cruz and put the Indimidators up 3-2. They added a run on a throwing error later in the inning from Carlos De La Cruz after a fly ball to shallow left field with a runner on third.
Manuel Silva (2-4) was charged with three runs, two earned, in three innings and took the loss.
Austin Conway (1-0) got the last eight outs and earned the win in relief for the Intimidators.
Kannapolis opened the scoring in the fourth inning on a SAC fly from Gunnar Troutwine.
That was the lone run they got off BlueClaws starter Ethan Lindow, who gave up one run in five innings while striking out three.
Silva came on in the sixth and gave up a solo home run to Johan Cruz on the first pitch he threw. Cruz's sixth long ball of the year gave the Intimidators a 2-0 lead.
The BlueClaws responded with two runs on three hits in the seventh. They tied the game when Malvin Matos was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Ben Pelletier drew a bases loaded walk. Jonathan Guzman then flew to center, but centerfielder Ian Dawkins threw Pelletier out at second base just before Cole Stobbe could score from third to keep the game tied at two.
Intimidators starter Sam Long struck out 10 over 5.2 scoreless innings, matching the most strikeouts by a BlueClaws opposing pitcher so far this season.
Cole Stobbe had two of the five BlueClaws hits in the loss.
The teams finish their series on Sunday at 5:05 pm. RHP Kevin Gowdy (0-4) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Davis Martin (5-8).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Drive Fall to Columbia on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Furious 'Birds Rally Falls Short at WV - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Medina and Mauricio Power Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Hand Braves another Walk-Off Loss - Rome Braves
- Early Offense Carries Power to 12-10 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Excitement Continues as Vavra Gives T's Seventh Walk-Off Win - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win Series, Collect 5th Consecutive Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Intimidators Score Twice in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Another Early Barrage Holds up as Charleston Takes Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 20 at Greenville (Game 96) - Columbia Fireflies
- Righty Daniel Bies Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.