Excitement Continues as Vavra Gives T's Seventh Walk-Off Win
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists walked off for the seventh time this season in a thrilling 3-2 victory over the Rome Braves. The win kept the Tourists within two games of first place and pulled them to one game back of the Braves.
Terrin Vavra, the South Atlantic League's top hitter, delivered the walk-off hit with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. The game was tied 2-2 when Niko Decolati hit a two-out double into right-centerfield; Niko's third hit of the game. Vavra then stepped to the plate and lined the first pitch he saw into left-centerfield to score Decolati from second base.
Asheville built a 2-0 lead thanks to some key offense earlier in the game. Willie MacIver drove in Vavra with a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning. MacIver struck again in the sixth with an RBI single to left. Rome managed to manufacture a run in the seventh but the Braves trailed 2-1 entering the ninth.
The visitors recorded back-to-back doubles to begin the final frame. That immediately tied the game and put the go-ahead runner at second base. Asheville's PJ Poulin dialed in and retired the next three hitters to keep the game tied headed to the bottom half.
Coco Montes continued his hot hitting with a 2-for-4 performance at the dish. Nick Bush was excellent on the mound. The left-hander had to work out of trouble a few times but he finished with 6.2 innings pitched and allowed only one run. Jacob Bosiokovic did a nice job out of the bullpen behind Bush. Bosiokovic retired all four batters he faced to earn his second hold of the season.
The Tourists now have an opportunity to win the series outright on Sunday afternoon. Asheville has not lost a series at home since the All-Star Break.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Drive Fall to Columbia on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Furious 'Birds Rally Falls Short at WV - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Medina and Mauricio Power Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Hand Braves another Walk-Off Loss - Rome Braves
- Early Offense Carries Power to 12-10 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Excitement Continues as Vavra Gives T's Seventh Walk-Off Win - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win Series, Collect 5th Consecutive Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Intimidators Score Twice in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Another Early Barrage Holds up as Charleston Takes Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 20 at Greenville (Game 96) - Columbia Fireflies
- Righty Daniel Bies Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.