Tourists Hand Braves another Walk-Off Loss
ASHEVILLE, NC - Tourists star second baseman Terrin Vavra delivered a two out walk-off single in the Bottom of the 9th inning to down the Braves 3-2 on Saturday evening. It was Asheville's second walk-off win of the series. The Braves overcame a two run deficit and tied it in the Top of the 9th on a Brendan Venter double but never led in the game.
The Braves got another excellent start from LHP Gabriel Noguera who threw a season-high 7 innings and received a no-decision. Rome had plenty of scoring chances but once again struggled with runners in scoring position. They finished 1-14 on the day and are just 4-41 in the series.
The Tourists got single runs in the 4th and 6th innings off Noguera. Asheville catcher Willie MacIver drove in both runs.
Rome finally got on the board in the 7th after Venter opened the inning with a double. He scored on an RBI groundout by Justin Dean.
Trailing Asheville 2-1 in the 9th inning outfielder Jose Bermudez worked a 10 pitch at bat and eventually doubled into left field. Venter followed with his third extra base hit of the night to score Bermudez, tying the game at 2-2. Rome would leave the go-ahead run in scoring position.
Asheville won it with a two out rally in the 9th against reliever RHP Ryan Shetter as Vavra shot a ball into center field to win the game.
Venter was 3-4 with three doubles and an RBI. Bermudez enjoyed another multi hit game, going 2-4 with a double and a run scored. Braulio Vasquez was 3-5 with a double. Noguera went 7 innings and gave up two runs on seven hits. He struck out five and walked one.
Rome and Asheville conclude their four game series Sunday afternoon at McCormick Field. First pitch of Game 4 is scheduled for 2:05 pm. Rome will start RHP Jose Olague (8-6, 3.30) while Asheville puts RHP Shelby Lackey (3-10, 5.42) on the mound.
Rome Braves (16-14, 46-52): 2 R 8 H 0 E
Asheville Tourists (15-15, 43-56): 3 R 12 H 1 E
W: PJ Poulin (3-3)
L: Ryan Shetter (2-2)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Drive Fall to Columbia on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Furious 'Birds Rally Falls Short at WV - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Medina and Mauricio Power Columbia to Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Hand Braves another Walk-Off Loss - Rome Braves
- Early Offense Carries Power to 12-10 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Excitement Continues as Vavra Gives T's Seventh Walk-Off Win - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win Series, Collect 5th Consecutive Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Intimidators Score Twice in 8th to Top Claws 4-2 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Another Early Barrage Holds up as Charleston Takes Series Lead - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Bats Steam Crawdads - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 20 at Greenville (Game 96) - Columbia Fireflies
- Righty Daniel Bies Called up to High-A Tampa - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.