Firebirds' Riley Piercey Named OHL Player of the Week
Toronto, Ont. - The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Flint Firebirds forward Riley Piercey is the OHL Player of the Week, scoring four goals while adding three assists for seven points in three victories to go with a plus/minus rating of plus-3.
Piercey scored in all three of his outings, helping the Firebirds climb to within three points of first place in the West Division with wins over Guelph, Saginaw and Kitchener. He scored the overtime winner in Guelph on Tuesday, finding the back of the net with 26 seconds remaining in the extra frame as the 'Birds defeated the Storm 5-4. Piercey put together a season-high four point effort on Friday at home to Saginaw, scoring twice while adding two assists as the Firebirds secured the I-75 Divide Cup, taking a 6-3 decision to win their season series against the rival Spirit. He finished the week with a goal in Saturday's commanding 7-1 win over the visiting Kitchener Rangers, extending his current point streak to four games.
A 19-year-old native of Mississauga, Ont., Piercey sits second in Flint scoring with 37 points (15-22-37) over 30 games this season. The 6-foot-3, 212Ib. centreman is in his third OHL season, recording 85 points (35-50-85) over 152 career regular season games between Flint and Barrie. Piercey was originally Barrie's first round (16th overall) pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection.
Piercey joins Brennan Othmann as the second Firebirds player to earn OHL Player of the Week honours this season. Othmann was also considered for the award this week, registering eight points (2-6-8) over three games. Kingston Frontenacs forward Jordan Frasca posted seven points (2-5-7) and a plus-6 rating across four games as the Fronts closed out the weekend on a three-game winning streak.
2021-22 OHL Players of the Week - Regular Season:
Jan. 17 - Jan. 23: Riley Piercey (Flint Firebirds)
Jan. 10 - Jan. 16: David Goyette (Sudbury Wolves)
Jan. 3 - Jan 9: Wyatt Johnston (Windsor Spitfires)
Dec. 27 - Jan. 2: James Hardie (Mississauga Steelheads)
Dec. 13 - Dec. 19: Ty Tullio (Oshawa Generals)
Dec. 6 - Dec. 12: Lucas Edmonds (Kingston Frontenacs)
Nov. 29 - Dec. 5: Wyatt Johnston (Windsor Spitfires)
Nov. 22 - Nov. 28: Brennan Othmann (Flint Firebirds)
Nov. 15 - Nov. 21: Brandon Coe (North Bay Battalion)
Nov. 8 - Nov. 14: Antonio Stranges (London Knights)
Nov. 1 - Nov. 7: Shane Wright (Kingston Frontenacs)
Oct. 25 - Oct. 31: Tucker Robertson (Peterborough Petes)
Oct. 18 - Oct. 24: Rory Kerins (Soo Greyhounds)
Oct. 11 - Oct. 17: Calum Ritchie (Oshawa Generals)
Oct. 4 - Oct. 10: Jack Thompson (Sudbury Wolves)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2022
- Family Ties: Inside Hunter Haight's Unique Path to Leadership - Barrie Colts
- OHL Announces Postponed Games on January 28 & 29 - Windsor Spitfires
- Friday, Saturday Home Games Postponed Due to League Covid Protocol - Erie Otters
- OHL Announces Postponed Games on January 28 & 29 - OHL
- SOTI Weekend Preview - Busy Week Ahead for the Trout - Mississauga Steelheads
- Mack Guzda Named OHL Goaltender of the Week - Barrie Colts
- Cedrick Guindon Named Huron Tractor Player of the Week - Owen Sound Attack
- Firebirds' Riley Piercey Named OHL Player of the Week - Flint Firebirds
- Guzda and Piercey Named OHL Top Performers of the Week - OHL
- 67's Split Two Games - Ottawa 67's
- Important Ticketing and Capacity Update: January 24th - Owen Sound Attack
- Generals Fall to Frontenacs 2-0 - Oshawa Generals
- Kingston Wins 2-0 in a Defensive Battle against Oshawa - Kingston Frontenacs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- OHL Western Conference Championship Series Preview
- "Orange Out" Set for Game 3 of Western Conference Finals in Flint
- Western Conference Finals Tickets Go on Sale Tomorrow at 11:00 AM
- OHL Announces Western Conference Championship Series Schedule
- Firebirds Rout the Soo 7-1, Advance to Conference Finals for First Time in Franchise History