Firebirds' Oksentyuk Selected by Dallas Stars in NHL Draft
The Dallas StarsÂ selectedÂ Flint FirebirdsÂ forward Evgeniy OksentyukÂ in the sixth-round, 162nd overall, of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft Wednesday, making himÂ an impressiveÂ eighth Flint Firebird to be drafted into the National Hockey League in just five years.
Oksentyuk wasÂ selected by the Firebirds in the first-roundÂ (5th overall) of theÂ 2019 CHL Import Draft. He recordedÂ the most pointsÂ out ofÂ all 81 playersÂ taken in the 2019 CHL Import Draft.Â Oksentyuk alsoÂ ledÂ the Firebirds with 78 pointsÂ (33G, 45A) in 58 games this past season. The Brest, Belarus native set a franchise recordÂ for theÂ longest point-streak by a single player, recording a point in 17 consecutive games from Nov. 15, 2019 - Jan. 17, 2020.
For theÂ fifth consecutive year,Â at least one current Flint Firebird player is expecting to hearÂ their name called on NHL Draft day.
For the pastÂ fiveÂ seasons, theÂ OHL has sent more players to the NHL than any other league in the world. The OHLÂ is first in the worldÂ in total players selected in the NHL Draft (197), first and second round selections combined (76), defenseman (80) and forwards (122).Â On NHL opening day rosters in October, one-in-four players (26.4%) competing in the NHL were alums of the OHL, which is also the highest percentage in the world.
Since the Firebirds' inception in Flint, Michigan five seasons ago, there have been nineÂ Firebirds that have played in a NHL regular or preseason game. A total of 19 players that have worn a Firebirds jersey have either been drafted and/or signed by NHL clubs: Will Bitten (Montreal), Dennis Busby (Arizona), Nick Caamano (Dallas), Connor Chatham (New Jersey), Ty Dellandrea (Dallas), Fedor Gordeev (Toronto), Kyle Keyser (Boston Bruins), Ethan Keppen (Vancouver), Vladislav Kolyachonok (Florida), Nick Mattinen (Toronto), Brent Moran (Dallas), Alex Nedeljkovic (Carolina), Evgeniy Oksentyuk (Dallas), Alex Peters (Dallas), Vili Saarijarvi (Detroit), Kole Sherwood (Columbus), Jalen Smereck (Arizona), Tyler Tucker (St. Louis) and Josh Wesley (Carolina).
Since 1969, a total of 2,379 OHL players have been selected in the NHL Draft representing over 20% of all players chosen by clubs and a figure higher than any other league solidifying the OHL as the number one supplier of NHL talent.
Stay tuned toÂ www.FlintFirebirds.com/NHLDraftÂ for all-access coverage of the Firebirds at the 2020 NHL Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- 78 CHL Players Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
- San Jose Selects Coe - North Bay Battalion
- Chicago Blackhawks Select Chad Yetman at NHL Draft - Erie Otters
- Cranley Headed to the Blues - Ottawa 67's
- Hounds Leading Goal Producer Kerins Becomes a Flame - Soo Greyhounds
- Firebirds' Oksentyuk Selected by Dallas Stars in NHL Draft - Flint Firebirds
- Nico Daws Drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd Round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Guelph Storm
- Tyler Tullio Selected 126 Overall by the Edmonton Oilers - Oshawa Generals
- Blues Select Dickinson at 119 - Soo Greyhounds
- Pytlik Picked by New Jersey Devils - Soo Greyhounds
- Jean-Luc Foudy Selected 75th Overall by the Colorado Avalanche - Windsor Spitfires
- Minnesota Makes O'Rourke Their 2nd Round Selection - Soo Greyhounds
- Windsor Spitfires Mourn the Loss of Former Scout Michael Kokavec - Windsor Spitfires
- Seven OHL Players Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Caamano, Dellandrea Featured on FOX Sports Detroit
- Caamano, Dellandrea Face Detroit Red Wings on FOX Sports Detroit Tuesday
- Othmann, Kressler & Kuzmin on NHL Central Scouting's 'Players to Watch' List
- Dellandrea Set to Make NHL Debut Tonight After Four Seasons in Flint
- Voice of Firebirds Hennig Tabbed by CCHA