Chicago Blackhawks Select Chad Yetman at NHL Draft
Erie, Pennsylvania - Erie Otters forward Chad Yetman was selected by the Chicago Blackhawks with the 172nd overall pick in the sixth round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, becoming the 41st Erie Otter in team history to be drafted at the NHL Draft.
Yetman, a 5-foot-11, 178-pound forward, skated to a career year this past season, collecting 74 points (43G-31A) in 61 games played while finishing eighth among OHL goal scorers during the COVID-19 pandemic shortened 2019-20 campaign. A native of Whitby, Ontario, Yetman joined the Otters as a 10th round pick (196th overall) in the 2016 OHL Priority Selection and has appeared in 185 career games for Erie, amassing 147 points (73G-74A) during his three-year OHL career. The 20-year-old's continued development in Erie earned him a free agent invite to Detroit Red Wings training camp after his second OHL season in the fall of 2019 before doubling his previous year's goal scoring total (21) and drawing the eye of the Blackhawks for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.
Following the conclusion of the 2019-20 season, Yetman was awarded the Erie Otters franchise awards as the Most Sportsmanlike Player and Iron Workers Local Union #3 Three Star Award. In 2018-19 he collected team hardware as the Otters Most Valuable Player and Most Improved Player. He is only the 14th player in team history to record 40 or more goals in a season (Alex Debrincat only player to score 40 or more multiple seasons).
Since 1969, a total of 2,379 OHL players have been selected in the NHL Draft representing over 20% of all players chosen by clubs and a figure higher than any other league solidifying the OHL as the number one supplier of NHL talent.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- 78 CHL Players Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
- San Jose Selects Coe - North Bay Battalion
- Chicago Blackhawks Select Chad Yetman at NHL Draft - Erie Otters
- Cranley Headed to the Blues - Ottawa 67's
- Hounds Leading Goal Producer Kerins Becomes a Flame - Soo Greyhounds
- Firebirds' Oksentyuk Selected by Dallas Stars in NHL Draft - Flint Firebirds
- Nico Daws Drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd Round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Guelph Storm
- Tyler Tullio Selected 126 Overall by the Edmonton Oilers - Oshawa Generals
- Blues Select Dickinson at 119 - Soo Greyhounds
- Pytlik Picked by New Jersey Devils - Soo Greyhounds
- Jean-Luc Foudy Selected 75th Overall by the Colorado Avalanche - Windsor Spitfires
- Minnesota Makes O'Rourke Their 2nd Round Selection - Soo Greyhounds
- Windsor Spitfires Mourn the Loss of Former Scout Michael Kokavec - Windsor Spitfires
- Seven OHL Players Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.